Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car Monitoring project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haidy

Hello all

im an Egyptian engineering student
my project is monitoring every thing in car:
speed,distance to surrounding obstacles,temperature,oil leve& pressure,battery stautus, door & light status,......

well, i searched alot for sensors ,measuring speed&distance to surrounding obstacles specialy ,but i found nothing except ultrasonic sensors

now, i mentioned that im Egyptian coz these kinds of sensors are expensive here
too expensive for a student to buy

i dont know what to do
can any one tell me what sensors to use or what way to measure speed and distance to surroundings but without paying much money?????
even i the accuracy is not too good

by the way, i found sth called "purpose built potentiometer" for measuring large scale distance
but this is the only piece of information i found about it, nothing more!!!!

i wish u help me plz, or i'll have to change the whole project, and im running out of time!!!!!!!!

thanx alot

waiting ur replies
byeeee

You can retrieve a huge amount of information interfacing to the cars on board diagnostics. Ultrasonics are going to be the only practical method that I can think of to detect nearby objects but an array to do that in 360 degrees is going to be a real challenge to design.

Re:

Thanx alot sir

well,
ithought of something else
to directly measure the speed of the car
infact it's the speed that's required
so i thought of calculating distance and dividing it by time

now i changed my mind, im thinking of measuring speed directly

can u help me in measuring speed?
i'll measure N(of the wheel) in rpm, then omega then linear velocity V.
i have some ideas like:
-encoder, but it will be difficult for my car model
-tachogenerator, infact im not familiar with it

plz give me any ideas,

but still, distance to surroundings will need necessarily ultrasonic?

plz tell me
thanx alot

bye

I have been working on a tachometer lately. For low frequencies, someone recommended reading time between pulses. I tried that and found that as the frequency increases, the time between pulses shortens EXPONENTIALLY. I didn’t EVEN want to sort that out in PIC asm with RISC.
Anyway, you gave me an idea. A hall effect sensor close to the differential ring gear should give you 20 or more pulses per axle revolution. Has anyone done that?

ClydeCrashKop said:
I have been working on a tachometer lately. For low frequencies, someone recommended reading time between pulses. I tried that and found that as the frequency increases, the time between pulses shortens EXPONENTIALLY. I didn’t EVEN want to sort that out in PIC asm with RISC.

I suggest you try again, the relationship between frequency and wavelength is a simple linear one.

That is what I expected but not what I got. I will scan a graph of it.

Nigel, this is from your joystick tutorial but using timer1 and no cap discharge.

ReadX ;clrf Timer_H ;clear timer hi byte
bsf STATUS, RP0 ;select bank 1
bsf JOY_TRIS, PotX ;make PotX an input
bcf STATUS, RP0 ;select bank 0
clrf TMR1H
clrf TMR1L
btfss JOY_PORT, PotX ;These two to make sure it starts at a full cycle
goto $-1 ;loop until input high
btfsc JOY_PORT, PotX
goto $-1 ;loop until input low
bsf T1CON ,TMR1ON ;start timer
btfss JOY_PORT, PotX
goto $-1 ;loop until input high
btfsc JOY_PORT, PotX
goto $-1 ;loop until input low
bcf T1CON ,TMR1ON ;stop timer
movf TMR1L, W
movwf LoX ;and read immediately
movf TMR1H, W
movwf HiX
retlw 0x00

Attachments

• Time graph.jpg
    Time graph.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 153
Sorry, we kind of hijacked Haidy’s topic.
Back to car monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back