Cat/Dog Pellet Dispencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humina

Hello,

I’ve literally looked all over the net for a DIY pellet Feeder (cat or dog) and could not find anything of substance. What I’m looking for: Ability to set Dispensing time. Control the amount of dispensing time (3 times daily)(stepper Driven), simple programming via serial connection (or USB), but must run independent of any PC input(I have a 16F84A chip) . If anyone out there is interested in helping, I would appreciate it. I’m a great follower but not a leader by any means.

Thanks

a simple auger could be made from a 1.5" pvc pipe slid at a slight angle through a bin. in the middle of the pvc pipe, cut a large hole (the larger the hole, the more food it will scoop). fill the bin with food. rotate the auger one revolution (or more for lots of food), food will be dispensed out the lower end of the pipe. no micro controller needed, just a small motor and a basic interval timer.

Really greeat solution. A windshield (windscreen) motor would be great for this as well, good torque, plus the one revolution sensor is already built in.

nah, 555 is for timing microseconds to several seconds, not hours and hours

something like a lamp timer would work well, the cheap mechanical kind you set with pegs. you'll need to figure out some way to make sure you only get 1 (or X) number of turns out of the motor however.

I suggest you stick with a microcontroller. But I tend to see the need for one everywhere I look.

justDIY said:
something like a lamp timer would work well, the cheap mechanical kind you set with pegs. you'll need to figure out some way to make sure you only get 1 (or X) number of turns out of the motor however.
These timers are prone to breaking down and often need replacing after a year or two. Do not depend on them to feed pets when you are absent.

Ability to set Dispensing time. Control the amount of dispensing time
I would stick with original idea of using a MC if you know how to program. The application is simple, an inexpensive low pin count device will work.

You may want to add the ability to detect food jams and when it needs filling. A light beam interrupted by the food falling into the bowl would work, maybe a strain gauge? Would need to be sensitive enough to detect a few grams.

Pets seem to equate being feed to being loved or wanted. If possible feed them yourself when possible.

To that end I would add a switch to dispense food on demand. If you used a MC it could be smart enough to skip the automatic feeding if you have feed manually via the button within a given period of time. Maybe train the pet to feed themselves.

or just pay a friend / family member to care for your pets when gone, or better yet, take your pet with you

trying to automate three feedings a day sounds like you don't want to interact with the animal - seems to me this is going to be used on a lab animal or something else improper

Pets also like to be fed at regular times, but some people don't work regular hours. Three times a day is a little much, but too each their own way. Better then maybe three times a week. True, most animals let you be in charge, because you provide the food. Depends on the breed, but might lead to some dominance issues later. Really depends on a lot of things.

For me, I work 2:30AM, until we get done. Not really ideal for a pet, I really got lucky on my last dog. Haven't gotten too serious about replacing him, because I know the hours are bad.

I suppose it does depend on the breed. I know the books claim its important to feed the beast on a rigid schedule, but that doesn't work for my malamute. So I fill his bowl in the morning and again in the afternoon, he decides when to eat, often times not finishing the entire bowl.

When I get home from work, he's usually eager to go outside and explore, or if he was left outside while I was away, he's eager to come inside, chill for a bit, then go outside and explore. Eating is usually one of the last things on his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…