Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
I need to know about cats. I am looking for a cat that would live in the barn, go outdoors only when I am there, and be a good worker.

Where can I find about cats? The first summer after I bought the farm, I went into the lofts and found a dead cat. It was being eaten by mice (etc.). I don't want to repeat that. Neighbors tell me you cannot let a cat roam free, because of coyote.

I figure a medium sized cat in the barn will be helpful, but I don't know anything about what they need in terms of heat and bedding. Of course, I will provide food and water. Any suggestions of where I can begin to learn? Male, female, neutered?

Ohio weather: moderate northern US. Not as severe as Minnesota or the Dakota's. Lake Erie causes some moderation. Extremely rarely do temps drop below 0°F; lowest daytime temps generally in the teens or twenties. The barn temps are higher. It is a fairly tight, wooden barn. coyote, raccoon, etc. cannot get into it.

John

I live in Colorado... probably about the same weather.
I have many coyotes!
I put a "cat door" in the barn so the cats can get inside and the coyotes can not.
I put out food and some times water for the cats.
I have a blanket for the cats to sleep on but they often do not use it.
This is the first year I put out heat for the winter. I only have two cats now and at 15 years old they need help in the winter. I use a 25 watt light bulb to heat a card board box with a blanket. For the last 30 years I have never needed heat.
The cats go outside but, if the snow is too high they make a mess inside. I have a cat box with dirt only for days with snow.
Get the cats fixed or you will have many cats. I had 21 born in two days.
Male cats will travel miles if they are not fixed. Female cats multiply.
I do have problems with raccoons that have learned how to use the cat door. I tried a door that would only let cats inside with a electric collar. The raccoons broke the door. I now only put out one day of food. The raccoons leave if there is no food.
If you lock the door at night you will need a cat box!
Cats don't need much water. Watch out for antifreeze! Any spill will kill a cat/dog. I have never had one die.

I've owned cats all my life. You'd be surprised--they're very independent. I have had problems with cats getting lost. Personally, if you're looking for a lovable pet, I'd suggest only taking it outside on a leash, unless your yard is fenced in. I currently have two Siamese who are only allowed outside on leashes. Other than that, they are indoor cats only.

As for bedding, they may or may not appreciate proper bedding. I once got a cat bed for my cats, they walked up to it, sniffed it, and turned their back to it. Never used it. Usually it's up to the cats when and where they sleep, and like I said, they tend to be very independent. Even if they didn't get fed food and water, they'd find food elsewhere, though they wouldn't be as healthy. I still recommend giving them cat food and water, about a quarter cup of food two times a day for an average size cat.

I live up in the boonies, in Vermont. Temperature can go well below zero (got to 20 below last year, maybe even further) and my cats were fine. However, they had each other to curl up with to keep themselves warm.

Get the cat as a kitten. Pick one who's active, but not too crazy. Males tend to be more relaxed and friendly as they age, females tend to be more spunky and independent. Spend lots of time with him/her to bond. They can be one of the best pets you'll ever have.

Just a few tips to get you started. Hopefully it's helped you out a bit.
Best wishes,
Matt

Thanks for the advice. I will think about getting a fixed female. Several neighbors have told me not to let a cat out at night because of the other wild life. If I let her roam freely in the day, it may be difficult getting her back into the barn when it is time. The leash idea sounds like a good compromise.

John

i suggest you start searching for a good book...i'm also interested to raise a cat
at home and i got a lovely book that includes almost everything i need
to know before i get a cat! :)

Barn cats need to work for a living. Some are afraid of mice. And most like to eat mice.
I do not want a young cat from town (a house). I am willing to feed a lazy cat but I want a hunter.

For those in other countries; Here we have the "Humane Society" that receives unwanted animals and sales them to other people.
Years ago I would go and get "ugly cats that no one wanted" and give them a good life in a heated barn on the farm. These cats would be killed if no one wanted them. About 15 years ago the Humane Society started making every one sign a paper saying you would not make the animals work. Animals must live indoors. Get regular hospital visits. There are two pages of things you must do including allow the government to check on the animal. This is far more complicated than having a child. I just don't see why killing a unwanted cat is better than allowing them to live in a heated barn.

The horse works (not very hard). The cats hunt. The dog stands guard. Cows get eaten. Every one has a place (out doors). I understand that people invite outdoor animals into human beds. People carry "pocket dogs" in their purse. Fine if you want that, but in my world a 1 pound dog is as worthless as a cat that runs from a mouse. Ask my wife what happens if I don't work.

Ron, I am with you on the working cat and the overreach of the humane society. I see nothing wrong with having an animal work for its upkeep. In fact, I think abuses are in the other direction. I spend a lot of time in the barn. It is not an livestock barn, but a place where I have my toys. Thus, I think my barn cat would not be starved for human interaction.

My barn has a green roof, which gives considerable solar heating. My main areas of ignorance were whether additional heat would be required and what could be done to protect the cat from other predators.

On the latter question, a leash has been mentioned, but the image of a leash and a cat just don't seem to fit together in the same way that a dog can be tethered. If a mature cat* is let out during the day, will it come to a call like a dog will? Will it stay with you or go out on its own? (I have only had one cat, and that was 40+ years ago when we lived in an apartment. She was a small Abyssinian and never went outside on her own.)

John

*Fixed female

Last edited:
On the latter question, a leash has been mentioned, but the image of a leash and a cat just don't seem to fit together in the same way that a dog can be tethered. If a mature cat* is let out during the day, will it come to a call like a dog will? Will it stay with you or go out on its own? (I have only had one cat, and that was 40+ years ago when we lived in an apartment. She was a small Abyssinian and never went outside on her own.)

John

*Fixed female

A lot of people feel the same way about leashes on cats. For some reason, it's seen as uncommon, though in reality a lot of cat owners take their cats out on leashes. If you go to a pet store, or perhaps even a Humane Society, you can purchase cat harnesses. They're much like dog harnesses except they don't have the chest piece. This allows the cat to move more naturally.

The other question is how secure is your barn? Are there holes or cracks that the cat might find and fit through? If there is, the cat will find it. I know that from experience ;)

Matt

The barn is pretty secure and will be even more secure next Summer after I make some repairs to the sliding doors. Voles, mice, and an occasional garden snake find their way in. No raccoons or anything bigger, not even birds unless the door is open. The barn has a concrete floor.

By tether, I mean a dog can tolerate a fairly long chain or a chain hooked to a suspended line. I don't like to see that done; although, I might have to do it for training. My neighbor in Cleveland has a cat and two dogs. The cat stays pretty close to the house and dogs. Can a cat be similarly restrained for its own good?

John

The barn is pretty secure and will be even more secure next Summer after I make some repairs to the sliding doors. Voles, mice, and an occasional garden snake find their way in. No raccoons or anything bigger, not even birds unless the door is open. The barn has a concrete floor.

By tether, I mean a dog can tolerate a fairly long chain or a chain hooked to a suspended line. I don't like to see that done; although, I might have to do it for training. My neighbor in Cleveland has a cat and two dogs. The cat stays pretty close to the house and dogs. Can a cat be similarly restrained for its own good?

John

Oh, I understand what you mean. I think I tried tethering one of my cats once and it didn't really work. They can sometimes wriggle out of their harnesses when left alone. That happened to one of my Siamese once. I had him tethered outdoors away from the house and I went in for a drink. When I came back out he was standing there on my porch looking up at me ;) I wouldn't recommend a tether for a cat unless you're at the other end.

Matt

We have two cats and they are free roam whenever they are outside. I think the trick to getting them to stay around is getting them as kittens and getting a firm imprint on them that you are there for them and what not.

Our cats come when called and tend to stay rather close to the house and shop at all times.

Personally I would recommend getting two or three barn cats but not more being they like to have company which keeps them close and gives less reasons to roam unless they have too much competition for food and shelter between them.

One is not enough and more than three is too many.

We have two cats and they are free roam whenever they are outside. I think the trick to getting them to stay around is getting them as kittens and getting a firm imprint on them that you are there for them and what not.

Our cats come when called and tend to stay rather close to the house and shop at all times.

Personally I would recommend getting two or three barn cats but not more being they like to have company which keeps them close and gives less reasons to roam unless they have too much competition for food and shelter between them.

One is not enough and more than three is too many.

That's a good point. I have three outdoor cats, but each of them I got as a kitten. I feed them and they know that my home is where they come to get food. They often come when they are called, but the problem with that in your case, John, is that you have nearby coyotes. That's why I recommended using a leash when s/he goes outside.

That's a good idea about getting two. I know it works with dogs too.

John

I have mixed results calling cats. They seem to understand "KITTY KITTY" but no other words.
My cats panic on a leash.
Many cats get along but the two I have left (brothers or cousins) hate each other.
I moved 4 cats from the old farm and locked them in the barn for a day or two. They took to the new barn well.

Wild animals: When a eagle goes over head I can't find a cat anywhere.
When a coyote howls all the cats run for the barn. When I had a cat that did not understand coyotes I made loud noises and scared that cat into the barn each time I heard a coyote. It does not take long.

The coyotes should not be a day time concern. We have them here as well and by nature they are nocturnal and tend to avoid humans and actively occupied human locations.

Just pee a little around your established yard perimeters when you are out for a walk and they will definitely get the hint humans live there and tend to avoid your area under most conditions. ;)

The cats however could care less about you peeing unless its on them which with friendly ones like ours that follow me everywhere that is something to occasionally avoid doing. :p

@tcmtech
The difference between real country and suburbia, is that in real country, you can pee off your front porch, and nobody will notice.

My farm is real country. And after having a nice steak dinner, I make a particular effort to warn would be intruders the next day. This past year, I only had to relocate 22 raccoons and 15 woodchucks. Maybe I should eat more asparagus? :D

Seriously, I am not a nature freak, but I prefer bioremediation to other methods when it is proven and practical. Hence my dislike for setting out poison.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back