Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CATV Amplifier power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

I have a cable TV amplifier but I can't find the 12VDC power supply it came with. The TV amplifier has a 12V input that looks exactly like an RG6 coax connector, and the wall-wart power supplies for these devices have RG6 coax connector outputs.

Is it necessary to supply power to this amplifier via RG6, or can I rig up any old 12VDC wall wart via regular old wires? I'm wondering if they use RG6 for the power supply to keep RF noise off the supply lines or something, or just to make it more convenient for cable installers who have tons of RG6 on hand.

They may supply the power through the cable connection that's also used for the RF. How many RG6 connections are on the box?

I don't see any reason you can't use any 12VDC wall-wart. Just make sure the polarity is correct at the connector.

Three. CATV in, CATV out, and 12VDC.
Make a small cable with one side Rg6 connector and other side connected to wall wart regulated power supply.
It is only industrial practice they did like that-- perhaps the unit may be used for outdoor. so they sealed it up. for test purpose, you can connect with regard to proper polarity .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back