Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CCD in Bees

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

https://www.vanishingbees.com/trailer/

I watched this last night, they have found pesticides responsible. Not just your average pesticide that is sprayed on the crop but, the granule type that is put into the soil. It builds up in the soil and is also carried back to the hive and is the deposited and eaten over the winter.

There are several disturbing things I didn't know about bee keeping and the way they industrialize the making of honey and distribution tactics allowing other countries such as "China" to sell product not made of real honey.

Here is another, perhaps less biased report: **broken link removed**

John

Ok, still there is a problem, regardless. From the study.

One explanation for CCD being studied is that a perfect storm of environmental stresses may unexpectedly weaken colonies, leading to collapse when the colonies are exposed to the additional stress of a pathogen, parasite, and/or pesticide. Stress, in general, compromises the immune system of bees (and other social insects) and may disrupt their social system, making colonies more susceptible to disease.

Studies are being conducted by ARS scientists and collaborators to look at the combined impact of two or more factors on honey bees—most recently the impact of exposure to the neonicotinoid imidacloprid and Nosema. This is the "Granulated form of Pesticide" While the dual exposure indicated some sublethal effects on individual honey bees, the overall health of the colony did not show an adverse effect.

Edit: So, I'm supposed to put my "ARS" into the hands of the "ARS" Scientist and the Environmental Protection Agency? I'm not sure they will have my best interest. Rather than looking into the stuff before hand they let company's conduct their own independent study and provide that conclusion to the public. Which is why we find out about it later, they are un-willing to admit fault.

It's funny once the French Gov "Banned" the use of this type of pesticide and the bees bounced back a year later and are not found to have CCD, I will admit there are other stresses from long time practices of sugaring the bees with Antibiotics and such. The public just needs to know and allow them to respond with their "Fork"

Or like me take up Amateur bee keeping.

kv

Last edited:
Sorry, John it really bugs me about stuff like this........I do appreciate that "Article" it explained it better than I could have.

Regards, kv

So, begs the question!!!!!!!

How do you see the "it", and who do you know who posses immune system disorder.

We should ask these questions, if not to gain the answer......

It should be part of our daily lives to invest in our future..... the children.

Do you have one or any "Grand Children" and do you care......

Voice your opinion.

It's funny once the French Gov "Banned" the use of this type of pesticide and the bees bounced back a year later and are not found to have CCD, I will admit there are other stresses from long time practices of sugaring the bees with Antibiotics and such. The public just needs to know and allow them to respond with their "Fork"

kv

The ban was proposed in June 2012 (https://inhabitat.com/france-proposes-ban-on-pesticide-linked-to-bee-colony-collapse-disorder/) and started in 2013 according to what I could find.
Source=Wikipedia
Early in 2013, the European Food Safety Authority issued a declaration that three specific neonicotinoid pesticides pose an acute risk to honeybees, and the European Commission (EC) proposed a two-year ban on them.[84] David Goulson, who led one of the key 2012 studies at the University of Stirling said that the decision "begs the question of what was going on when these chemicals were first approved." The chemical manufacturer Bayer said it was "ready to work with" the EC and member states.[85] In April 2013, the European Union voted for a two-year restriction on neonicotinoid insecticides. The ban will restrict the use of imidacloprid, clothianidin, and thiamethoxam for use on crops that are attractive to bees. Eight nations voted against the motion, including the British government which argued that the science was incomplete.

It may be a bit early to know the long term effect of the ban. BTW, imidacloprid is the only agent approved in the US to treat ash trees for the Emerald Ash Borer. What happens when there are no more ash trees? Will that insect then attack oak, elm (new ones) and so forth? If we loose our hardwood forests, then what happens to land erosion, wildlife, and so forth. The complexity of the system compounded by the effects of international trade, which brought us the Emerald Ash Borer from China, cannot be ignored.

While there is evidence implicating the neonicotinoid class of insecticides in CCD, the data are still incomplete. The rush to ban other insecticides, such as DDT, was a mistake. I hope some lessons were learned from that.

John

I will agree there is a major problem with issues of cross continental species infestations such as the "Japanese" Beetle, here in Utah. We didn't have a problem with fruit fly's until someone from "BYU" brought it here to study.

Now we have them, they didn't need to spray until then.

I did get it wrong based on your article. In the "Documentary" the French Bee Keepers and Farmers must have stood together and imposed their own ban of the product, maybe they were indicating in areas where there was no use of the Product they bounced back. I know they mentioned it.

I guess we will see if there is a similar response in France, now that it is in place. I don't know what the future will hold for us, I do believe there should be more consideration taken, we don't just throw in a bunch of components just to make something work, or do we. Maybe we should find way's of minimizing or neutralizing the chemicals in the ground. Because the use of these chemicals build up in the soil becoming more and more lethal over time, as we apply them to the same areas each year.

I don't know.

kv

The rush to ban other insecticides, such as DDT, was a mistake. I hope some lessons were learned from that.

John

Didn't they do that because it soften "Eagles Eggs Shells"?

Here is a summary on DDT: **broken link removed**

The subject is highly political. That link seems responsibly written. DDT is not without its drawbacks. The point that is often forgotten is that the devil one knows may be preferable to the one we don't know. DDT has/had been been used for a very long time -- longer than any current pesticide -- with minimal documented adverse effects. It was a life-saver for those in areas with endemic malaria.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back