Cell phone signal booster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeCrashKop

Most Helpful Member
Can any one recommend a good cell phone signal booster for inside a house? Hopefully less than the $400.00 that Wilson is asking.
I don't have any problems with my Sprint phone in my older cement block house (maybe with lead paint), but my girlfriend's Metro PCS service is really bad inside. I often see a neighbor pacing up and down the street talking on his cell phone.
I didn't find specs in the manual but I think it uses the PCS (1850-1990 MHz) band.
I did find zBOOST-ONE YX400-P FOR SPRINT AND METRO-PCS
Wi-Ex :: YX400-P but it just sticks it a window. Has anyone had good luck with that one or can recommend another one?
Thanks
Dave
PS I did search here but maybe didn't use the right key words.

Amazon.com: As Seen on TV - Cell Phone Antenna Booster: Cell Phones & Accessories

Sorry...

When I search google for that worthless stick-on foil, there were quite a few, well under $400, but think you are looking at a couple of hundred, if it's like a WiFi repeater. You'll get what you pay for... I never owned a cell phone, I feel self-important that way, people have to leave a message on my machine, and wait until it's convenient for me to answer, if I figure it's important enough... Actually, it's just another monthly bill, and something I have little need of.

Had to edit, was going to close the Amazon tab, and noticed the had a Wilson brand, in the related products, $199.99. You should click that link, and check it out. They have some other brands and models, some cost more, some less, but you can read the reviews. If there are a bunch, they usually give a good indication of the value.

Last edited:
Hey cool, same here! No cellphone, no bill. No worries!

You know, the young folk probably think I (we?) are nuts. I bet its a bit like when we were 16 and some old geezer said he never had electricity strung into his house, and glad of it too!

Last edited:
I resisted cell phones for a long time myself until I needed it for work.
I don't mind paying $200 - $400 for something that is 100% and hassle free but don't want to buy something that makes you stand in the corner with one hand and one foot in the air to get reception.

I'm an old geezer that has a cell phone (not a smart phone) but seldom turn it on. I have it mainly for emergencies or if I need to call home when I'm out. Got a prepaid one from Virgin Mobile for $5 a month which gives me 27 rollover minutes. I seldom go over that.

Last edited:
First know where the phone's antenna is located. Avoid placing hand over antenna and hold phone to get the clearest position to the antenna.

For example, Mot Razr antenna is located at the bottom hump near mouth piece. Holding it by top section and horizonal to ground gives best performance.

A lot of internal antenna phones have the antenna in back behind the earpiece. Avoid placing hand over that area.

Phones generally have worst performance when laying on back on a table.

There is a lot of variation from phone manf. to manf.

or, get a new girl friend...

Yo Bro, listen Sparky,
This is the girlfriend and replacing me is not an option.

You did make some other good suggestions, so thank you

Sincerely, the girlfriend, who is here to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…