Central Heat and Air Remote Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

ae4jm

I was wondering if it is possible to build a remote control device to control the central heat and air unit. The thermostat on the unit is controlled by remote control but I don't have a remote to the unit. I was just wondering if there was a way of figuring out the frequency of the unit without the factory remote control and then building the remote to control the temperature settings of the thermostat. The thermostat currently does not have any buttons for adjustment, the only way is through the remote control.

Thanks

well, you could experiment but could take forever.

have you tried contacting the company? or google?

this is a case where I would prefer to have a replacement unit, even if it is sold at a usurious price. ok ok, I wouldn't pay $500 for one...

Brand and model

Well, the outside of the thermostat doesn't have a company name. The inside doesn't have a company name or brand name either. The only way to adjust these units is by the remote control. The company that I work for, the maintenance manager has the remotes to these units. Would it be possible to just get the remote and get a frequency counter close to it to get the frequency, then would I need just to get the frequencies of each of the buttons on the remote when pressed or what? Is this how a remote works, or is it sending a code somewhat like a dtmf on a radio or television but digitially instead of a tone?

Sorry for the delay. I work full time as a quality technician and I'm enrolled in college courses full time. No excuse I know, after all I did post the topic, but I'm very sorry in the delay.

Thanks

Try looking up the central units model number. If you can find the unit on the web, might find some info on the thermostat. These companies make good profits on replacement parts, so you should be able to find what you need there. Now my AC and Heating was a custom install (what we could piece together, cheap). Only had to replace a start cap on the outside fan motor (****ing neighbor kids). It's been great for 11 years.

Home Depot sells remote control thermostats, but how often do you adjust it? A normal thermostat goes for around $30. Don't remember exactly, but think there are 4 wires, look like telephone wire, and these control the inside and outside units. I wouldn't think it too important which type thermostat you use.

Making your on replacement remote, for which you might use only a couple of times a year... Think it would be quick, simpler, and cheaper to just replace the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…