Ceramic Capacitor VS. Metal Polyester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar.M

Hello!
I found a component store in my area that doesn't actually expect me to pay obscene prices for little components.

Now I was looking for some 0.01 uF capacitors. I couldn't find any and the store guy pointed me to some military type capacitors. I didn't have time and picked those up (as they didn't seem to have any normal ceramic ones and the prices weren't that bad). He told me that the metal polyester ones that I picked up were even better and would not be a problem. I'm asking you guys, just to be sure.

Basically I am needing to create a PWM circuit and I am using a LM555 timer with the R/C method to get a nice pulse output. Does it matter that I have metal polyester capacitors (will they work) over the traditional ceramic types? I'm also looking to reduce the noise on my motors-- will these work?

Thanks a lot!
Omar

Ceramic capacitors have a very low inductance so they are used in high frequency radio circuits.
Metalized plastic capacitors have a low tolerance and are stable with temperarure changes, but their inductance is too high for radio frequency circuits.

All capacitors are very cheap. Except at stores that rip you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…