Changeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi folks
i am very conversant with wiring of the changeover switch when the installation has been segregated into 'essential circuits' and 'non essential circuits'.
I am at a loss as to how go about the wiring when the circuits are not segregated (into essential and non essential circuits) and the whole house needs to powered by a generator when power outage occurs.

Nothing really to explain - it couldn't be simpler.

Two way switch, incoming mains to one way, generator to other way, output to house - select switch accordingly.

Personally I used a 2 pole changeover relay, with the coil powered by the generator - starting the generator powers the relay and switches over automatically.

Presume all are 'essential circuits' !

Ramesh

I can get the picture now.I think i would prefer the 2 pole changeover relay as it would be much useful.

Thanks

Usually, the generator control panel takes care of, at least, provisioning the transfer and usually integrates the transfer switch.

Return to utility power doesn't happen immediately. There are some stability/time checks before that happens.

I just picked one just to look at for features: http://www.transferswitch4less.com/ascose.htm

The controllers also do generator exercising. Some incorporate monitoring of utility and generator power. Soem even interface to Ethernet.

Some may have the ability to do load sheding. An example, would be to run the whole house, but not the air conditioning.

Generally, you have to have an approved transfer switch, so it's not something that you build. The creiteria of a "transfer switch" is that they have mechanically interlocked contacts so it's impossibe for both sides to engage simultaneously.

--

Manual transfer can be done with an interlocked breaker on some load centers. Load centers can be professionaly modified for that as well. A "back-feed" breaker is mechanically interlocked with the main breaker. The generator is connected to the "back feed" breaker. Both breakers cannot be on at the same time.

Hi folks
Does the power authority meter have to wired in series with generator supply? i doubt that.How should the wiring be made such that , the power authority does not read when gen set is in use?

Last edited:
The transfer switch can have many locations.

For a full house, it goes after the meter.

One special case is backfeeding through an interlocking breaker. The mecanical interlocked breaker IS the manual transfer switch.

A breaker can feed a transfer panel with can be manual or automatic for only those loads that need back-up power.

So, your question, doesn't really have a simple answer except that generator power is not metered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…