Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

changing icd1 to program 16f877a

Status
Not open for further replies.

elangomlog

i am using icd1 to program 16f877, but now idont find the chips available, instead i find 16f877a. iam working with mplab 5.7 and an old htpic compiler with icd1 to do the job. so can any body helpme in updating icd1 to programme 16f877a or any other programmer to program 16f877a

Last edited:
Assuming it doesn't currently support the 877a?, then you would require updated software for it. As it's listed as no longer supported, presumably such an update isn't available?.

I would suggest building an ICD2 clone, like the Inchworm or Inchworm+, or writing your own software for the ICD1?.

I do not know if it will help but. According to info on the web you can use up to version 5.4 of MPLAB. Version 5.40

If MPLAB 5.4 does not support the 877A you can use it to program a 16F877 for use in an ICD2 (ss suggested by Nigel) that works with the most up to date versions of MPLAB.

The ICD2 will program the 16F877A and many more.

I do have mplab 5.7 which supports my compiler and debugger but i do need to modify the my icd1 to program the 16f877a.as you have suggested i can use icd2, but ihave to change my ide and the compiler since the old ht pic is not supported by the newer ide's

I do not know how to modify and ICD1 to program an 877A. Not sure it can be done.

If you can not afford to upgrade the compiler you should think about switching to the PIC 18F family, the provided Microchip compiler, and an ICD2 or PicKit2.

3v0 said:
I do not know how to modify and ICD1 to program an 877A. Not sure it can be done.

It could certainly be done, but that doesn't mean it would be easy!.

Assuming you have the HEX file for the processor?, which I imagine he has from an old update? - you could disassemble it, then modify it for the 877a, there's not a great deal of difference between the programming requirements of the 877 and 877a.

But it's not a trivial task!.

Easier to use the ICD1 to program a 16F877 for use in a ICD2.

Use your old compiler to build the project and program it with the ICD2.

You may have to use one version of MPLAB to build it and another to program the HEX file. Unless you can find a version of MPLAB that works with your compiler and the ICD2. Maybe MPLAB 5.4 or 5.7.

thankyou all for your suggessions

i have used the ccs icd software which programs the firmware, but it also doesnot support 877a
i just got a icd2 and mplab 7. this is helping me to import and program the
the 877a. but icant debug the code, any way i have got through in programming the chip

thankyou all for giving the suggessions

Last edited:
I am glad that you can at least program the chip.

I have never tried the CCS IDE. I use MPLAB with the CCS C compiler, CCS generates output that works with the MPLAB debugger.

This gets down to version version soup. It is possible that not all versions of the CCS compiler will work with all versions of MPLAB.

When solving these sort of problems it is best to provide version numbers for everything you use.

Best of Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back