Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Changing pot values

Status
Not open for further replies.

salviablue

This may seem like a daft question but lets say you where a total skin flint or miser and you needed pots of a certain value for a project. Now in your bit box there are loads of pots of values like 5K, 10K, 100K and 500K and you need a 200K and a 250K pots. Would one be able to change the value of the pots in ones bit box to the required values. How could i hook up these pots with out doubling them up? I would like to just use resistors to change values if pos.?
Cheers.

It depends entirely on what the pots are being used for - some times you may be able to change the circuit to use a different value, some times you can't, other times you may be able to just drop a different value in with no changes.

If you are asking if you can modify the pots themselves - no, you can't.

ask nigel said, you may be able to modify the circuit or just use a different value pot. If your pot is used for a voltage divider, it may well be ok but watch input impedence. For example as a simple voltage reference input to a comparator or opamp where the two sides of the pot are tied to the rails, twice or 1/2 the value will probably be fine.

In general, though, you really need to understand what the pot is used for in the circuit.

Its for a phasor effects unit, here is the diagram. (Its the original one)
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/11/p90ramp.pdf
Its the BIAS and MIX POTs i dont have. What i do have are loads of resistors, 500K pots, 100K pots and 10K pots. I am a begginer and therefore have limited knowledge.
I was wondering whether i could replace the 200K pot with a 100K pot and change the two resistors at the side pins to around 73K each?
And could i replace the 250K pot with a 500K pot with a 500K resistor in parallel?
Any help would be fantastic, Cheers

Last edited:
"No posting from other web sites."
Naughty, naughty. I don't think you're supposed to post this here. Linking is alright but not posting as it's breach of copyright.

Hero999 said:
Naughty, naughty. I don't think you're supposed to post this here. Linking is alright but not posting as it's breach of copyright.

Opps! Cheers, i have removed the possible law suit! Replaced it with a link instead.

Anyway, would connecting the two outer pins (1+3) with a 500K resistor on a 500K pot make it a 250K and how low would the resistance go? Would it be better to connect a 250K resistor between 1+2, and a 250K resistor between 2+3?

Further would a dual pot (one with two pots on one spindle) thats 100K make one 200K pot if pin 1 on one pot was connected to pin 3 on the other pot with both pins 2 tied together (with the free pins 1+3 AND PIN 2 CONNECTED INTO THE CIRCUIT)?
aNY HELP WOULD BE MOST GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED.

Hero999 said:

Opps! Cheers, i have removed the possible law suit! Replaced it with a link instead.

Anyway, would connecting the two outer pins (1+3) with a 500K resistor on a 500K pot make it a 250K and how low would the resistance go? Would it be better to connect a 250K resistor between 1+2, and a 250K resistor between 2+3?

Further would a dual pot (one with two pots on one spindle) thats 100K make one 200K pot if pin 1 on one pot was connected to pin 3 on the other pot with both pins 2 tied together (with the free pins 1+3 AND PIN 2 CONNECTED INTO THE CIRCUIT)?
aNY HELP WOULD BE MOST GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED.

Pots

Cheers but neither of those places you mentioned have either 200K or 250K pots! I cant find anywhere on ebay thats supplies what im after either, and with my limited knowledge was wondering as to whether there was any way around buying in these pots i cant find. There are no electronic stores within 20 miles of me and i can only usually pay by cash or paypal so that is why i could do with a work around. Infact i get most of my parts through ebay or salvaged equipment and if i cant find the part im stuck with out an alternative. Although i am learning all the time i dont know whether i would be able to make satisfactory work arounds on my own.
Cheers

salviablue said:
Cheers but neither of those places you mentioned have either 200K or 250K pots!

The tolerence on pots is usally +/-20% - 200 and 250 aren't preferred values, but 220K is a standard value - 200/220/250 are all near enough the same for pots.

Try

pots

Thankyou very much, just the kind of info i needed, and thanks for the link aswell!

One last thing am i correct with the assumption made about turning a 100K double pot into a 200K single pot?
Thanks all for the info, Cheers.

salviablue said:
One last thing am i correct with the assumption made about turning a 100K double pot into a 200K single pot?

No, you can't turn a 100K dual pot into a 200K single - although you can turn a 200K dual into a 100K single (just parallel them together).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back