Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charge batteries using tel lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroniks

Years ago I thought about making a circuit that charges 2 rechargeable battries using telephone lines but I never persued it. Now I want to see if it really works or not.
I know that tel lines here are 90v (OC) and around 50mA (CS). (or is it?!)
since for charging batteries I think I need about 3v and around 2000mA then I thought I can just transform 90v/50mA to 4.5v/1000mA.
Is this going to work theoritically?

electroniks said:
Years ago I thought about making a circuit that charges 2 rechargeable battries using telephone lines but I never persued it. Now I want to see if it really works or not.
I know that tel lines here are 90v (OC) and around 50mA (CS). (or is it?!)
since for charging batteries I think I need about 3v and around 2000mA then I thought I can just transform 90v/50mA to 4.5v/1000mA.
Is this going to work theoritically?
the open ckt voltage is ~50v DC normal and 75v AC during ringing , now when it is closed (off-hook , 600 ohm impedence), the line voltage drops to ~10V , so u won't get 90V/50ma , AND it may be illegal to connect devices like that to telephone lines .

I hope that you aren't going to explode a little battery with a whopping 2A of charging current! The little 3.6V Ni-Cad rechargable battery in a phone charges with only 10mA to 30mA depending on its size.

Only a couple of mA from a phone line causes it to be "off hook" and therefore it is busy. If the phone company's central office is next door to you, then you might get 100mA from a phone line. If you are far away then the current is less.
Use a real charger for the battery.

Its definately illegal in Australia, not that they would know unless you stuffed something up or a technitian came into your house fault finding.......

it is illigal in any countries the wiring belongs to the company including sources of power you cannot modefy re engineer any of it without consent. besides a charger cost practically nothing and solar energy even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back