Charger vs Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Bowman

What is the difference between a deep cycle battery charger (auto/marine type) and an AC-DC converter designed to charge marine/deep cycle batteries?

Those could both be descriptions of the same thing.

The devil is in the detail. Have you got any more description of them?

You say tomato, I say tomato. You know that particular quote doesn't work online without annunciation =\

I have "chargers", and I have a "converter" in my RV. The converter is more like a high-current power supply, which is wired across the battery, it supplies the loads, but doesn't do a great job of recharging the battery. It is set to ~13.6V, which is a reasonable "float" voltage for SLAs, but is too high to float flooded-cell batteries, and is too low to re-charge them in minimum time. So it is not good for anything, except turning on the lights in RV when plugged into shore power.

My "chargers" implement a modern three-state charging algorithm; current limited while the battery terminal voltage is rising, then hold the battery at ~14.5V until the charging current drops to ~0.1A, and finally hold the voltage at ~13.1V during "floating".

Converter is a term used in RVs for a device that supplies "12v" to the DC loads and to charge the house battery. Better conveters are 3-stage and will charge the battery reasonably quickly without overcharging, single voltage coverters will charge the battery slowly then overchage it.

Charger: a device for charging or recharging batteries
Converter: a device for changing one substance or form or state into another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…