Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging 10 x 1.2v AA batterys

Status
Not open for further replies.

badflyer

Hi chaps,

I wish to charge 10 x 1.2v AA Ni-MH batterys at the same time. What would be a safe charge current to charge them at? I have a 12v 1A DC mains adapter and used it to start with. I measured a initial charge current of 40mA. Is this to low or high?

cheers

badflyer said:
I wish to charge 10 x 1.2v AA Ni-MH batterys at the same time. What would be a safe charge current to charge them at? I have a 12v 1A DC mains adapter and used it to start with. I measured a initial charge current of 40mA. Is this to low or high?

You need more than 12V to charge 10 x Ni-Mh, the usual charging current is 1/10th of their rated capacity - so you would charge a 1AH battery at 100mA or so.

To provide proper recharging an intelligent charger is advisable, this will test during charging, and drop to a safe trickle charge once fully charged. The usual method is to check the 'DeltaV' of the batteries (where the voltage across them drops slightly at full charge - or to test their temperature, once fully charged the temperture increases as you overcharge them.

The normal chargers just bang current in for a fixed period, so if the battery is already partially charged it will be overcharged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back