Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging a 22uf 250V capacitor to 6 - 9VDC: can this shock or kill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you swallow it or trip over it in the dark maybe.

A capacitor charged to 6-9 volts DC presents virtually no shock hazzard.

Even if you charged that capacitor to 250V it still wouldn't be dangerous, but it would give you a shock - but 9V is far too low to even give you a shock.

In most cases I would agree with Nigel, but there are some instances where it could be very dangerous. All I can really say is use common sense, and don't be stupid :p

In most cases I would agree with Nigel, but there are some instances where it could be very dangerous.

Some examples, please? I don't get a shock from a 9v battery unless I lay it across my tongue. I'll agree with Nigel here.

Some examples, please? I don't get a shock from a 9v battery unless I lay it across my tongue. I'll agree with Nigel here.

For example, if a child accidentally swallows it, or if there is a path of little resistance into your body tissue (an open wound). Ask any doctor and I'm sure they'd be able to give you many more possible ways it could hurt you.

That's the thing about electronics--if you really want to be 100% safe, you need to treat everything like it could be dangerous. Think about what you're doing BEFORE you do it and you should be fine. I always expect the worst, which is probably the only reason I'm still alive :p

For example, if a child accidentally swallows it, or if there is a path of little resistance into your body tissue (an open wound). Ask any doctor and I'm sure they'd be able to give you many more possible ways it could hurt you.

Pretty silly example :D

If you swallow a capacitor it's dangerous - charged or not wouldn't make any real difference.

In the realms of anything remotely sensible and accidental it's not dangerous at all, no more than any other innocent object.

But if you charged it to 9V and then fired it from a shotgun in to someones chest, it would be dangerous then :p

Pretty silly example :D

If you swallow a capacitor it's dangerous - charged or not wouldn't make any real difference.

In the realms of anything remotely sensible and accidental it's not dangerous at all, no more than any other innocent object.

But if you charged it to 9V and then fired it from a shotgun in to someones chest, it would be dangerous then :p

Hahaha :D I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't really disagreeing with you that a 9 volt shock can't cause harm in most cases. I was simply saying that if you do something stupid, anything can be dangerous. Especially when it comes to electronics. For the most part, I agree with what you said. I'm just saying to treat everything like it could be dangerous. :)

Depends on the cap, get one of them thar 3 or 4000 farad caps, charge it 250 VDC. I garantee ya'll light somethin' up.
Yessiree Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back