cheap converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shenalbh

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a cheap way to convert a 230VAC to 6VDC. What I have in mind is to use a transformer and a bridge rectifier to do the job. Is there a cheaper and reliable alternative?

Thanks.

shenalbh said:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a cheap way to convert a 230VAC to 6VDC. What I have in mind is to use a transformer and a bridge rectifier to do the job. Is there a cheaper and reliable alternative?

Thanks.
That's about as reliable and cheap as it gets especially for currents of any real amount. I think you're the first person on the forum to ask this version of the question. Usually it's somebody who is trying an overly elaborate and complicated method and is dead-set against using a transformer for whatever reason and refuses to believe otherwise.

You need a large (I mean, large) capacitor at the output of the diode rectifier and probably a linear regulator after that depending on your requirements. I believe that that the capacitor smoothed output (and DC component of the diode rectifier output) of the rectifier is a about 0.9 times of the peak voltage of the transformer's secondary winding.

Last edited:
the cheapest one in the voltage range for around 600mA load would be a cellphone charger and in India these are sold at $1/- approx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…