Checking a Stepper without a Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

baberjaved

Is there any possible way of just checking out if a stepper motor works or not without using a driver/controller? I dun want the motor to rotate.. it could just budge a little to indicate that its working fine...

A battery (I use a PJ996 6V one), and two wires - you can also work out which wire is which.

I just finished making the L298/L297 Circuit for a Bipolar 2-Phase stepper motor... But before hooking it up with my microcontroller circuit i want to check n make sure the circuit is working fine... How do i check it and what should be the voltages on the output of the L298 and what should be the voltages on the Clock,Enable,CW/CCW and Reset pins of the L297...

I connected the chips to 5V and the Vdd of L298 to 30V and I am getting around 6V on the above mentioned pins of the L297 (It would be safe to connect it to a uC?) and on two outputs of L298 I am getting 0V and 17V on the other two...
Why 17V? Should it be this way...?
Secondly i wanted to know which wires of the stepper motor would go into the four outputs? Does the order matter... as when i change the configuration the voltages on the output change....

Here's the circuit.. Is something wrong or missing?
What should be the output on the four outputs of the L298?

Attachments

• l298drv.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 528
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…