Choosing and wiring the components of a solar-powered driveway gate

JBlizzard

Hi all, I am neither an artist nor an electronics person but I'm giving it my best shot today and every day.

I have a battery-powered driveway gate which charges by a solar panel. I chose to get the cheapest system possible and then spent almost an equal amount of money upgrading it, and getting out of my car dozens of times, always in the rain, when it failed in a truly surprising variety of ways.

Recently the board burned up and took the marine deep cycle battery (Product Link) with it. I replaced the board and battery but now the new battery only charges up to 12.3v or so, and this gate company designed their actuator to run on 12.5v to 13.5v with a solar controller that outputs 11v to 13v. I would've expected it to at least run slower at lower voltages, but it doesn't run at all if the battery is sitting at 12.49v or less - the control board won't tell the gate to open. I could exchange the battery but I'll just be facing the same problem in a year anyway when it gets to 95% service life and can't hit 12.5v anymore. It seems crazy to me that the control board would demand the top sliver of performance or else refuse to work at all, but anyway.

My solution, and what I would like help with, is: Get a second identical battery, hook it up in series to provide roughly 24v, then regulate it down to 12.5v - 13.5v so that the gate opener gets what it wants and my batteries should last a long time. Is this a good solution, and how do I hook everything up? I expected a Battery Isolator to only have 3 connections and a Regulator to only have 2 connections, but I'm not sure if this is correct: I keep seeing DC-DC Converters with 4 connections. (Is that the same thing as a regulator?)

This is a picture of my current setup:

This is my proposed solution:

And this is how the wires would be hooked up at the battery(s):

Is this correct? Here are the products I was thinking of using but I am definitely open to suggestions.

Regulator: 24v to 12v DC-DC Converter
Battery Isolator

This is a mess. You would be money ahead by just changing your controller. Buying a second battery, a dc-dc converter to make your controller work? It would be much cheaper today and the next time you need two new batteries to buy a controller that works down to 9V.

The board for this gate system costs $319, so I have to imagine a higher-quality board would cost more. The extra battery, converter, and isolator total $228 so I'm ahead $100 or so. If I had known to call all the consumer gate companies and ask their minimum voltages, I would, and if I ever install a second gate, that's definitely the plan.

You need several switching elements if you are going to connect two batteries in series at some times and in parallel at others, so that isolator won't work. It is also quite difficult to have a 12 to 24 V converter that can run in either direction.

To run the gates from two batteries in series, you need a 24 V to 12 V converter that is sufficiently powerful to provide the peak current that the gates take.

To charge the batteries there are several ways it can be done.

1) You could have a completely separate solar panel designed for 24 V.
2) You could have a 12 V to 24 V converter and charging circuit running from the existing 17 - 21 V solar panel
3) You could have the batteries in parallel when being charged and in series when being used.

For 1) and 2), you would not need to have any switching devices.
On 2), the 12 V to 24 V converter needs to work nicely with a solar panel, which isn't that easy to do.
On 3), there has to be something to detect when the gates are in use to change the configuration.

The circuit would be something like that. The three switches marked "A" would be closed when the battery is charging, and the two switches marked "B" would be closed when the gate is being used.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…