Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing MOSFET - datasheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Port88

Hi!
I have a question concerning n-channel logic level MOSFETs. Suppose that VGS=VDS=5V (SAT). Is there a way just by looking at the MOSFET datasheet to be sure whether the current that i get is lower than ID maximun rating? all this temperature stuff is confusing. Take this datasheet for example...

Thanks in advance!

If you have a Vgs of 5V then that Mosfet is turned on with a drain-source resistance of 0.35 ohms or less when it is cool. Then a drain-source current of 1.1A (a max of 0.86A when the gate-source voltage is only 4.5V) will cause it to overheat since its drain-source voltage will be 0.42V. Did you notice that 1.1A squared x 0.35 ohms= 0.42W which is higher than the max allowed power of 0.41W (when it is cool somehow)?

Why do you say that the drain-source voltage is 5V? When it is turned on with a load then the Vds voltage is very low so that the load gets most of the power supply voltage.

First of all, thank you for answering! I'm totally new at this ...

So , why are you saying there'll be a current of 1.1 A, given Vgs=5? Is that obvious somehow according to the datasheet ? Or maybe , you're referring to the minimum current so that power begins to exceed the max allowed... (?)

Yes you're right about this. There is a load of 5 Ohms , so given I want to achieve a current of 500 mA , Vds will be reduced to 2.5 V if I'm right...

So , why are you saying there'll be a current of 1.1 A, given Vgs=5?
The datasheet spec's the max on-resistance to be 0.35 ohms when the Vgs is 4.5V and the mosfet is cool. Its max allowed power is 0.41W and its max allowed current is 0.86A.
I guessed that the max on-resistance is 0.338 ohms when Vgs is 5.0V so the max power dissipation is 0.41W.

There is a load of 5 Ohms , so given I want to achieve a current of 500 mA , Vds will be reduced to 2.5 V if I'm right...
With a max on-resistance of 0.338 ohms and a current of 500mA then the max heating in the Mosfet is only 0.0845W which is much less than the max allowed dissipation of 0.41W. Vds will be a max of 0.338 ohms x 500mA= 0.169V, not anywhere near 2.5V.

Well , that was very helpful! Thank you!
I'd like to be more specific. Suppose I have the circuit given below. If I want to achieve 500 mA with the specific load of 5 ohms, should I choose a MOSFET with an RDSon=5 ohms?
(Ignore the PWM, for now...)

Attachments

• 548BA54A.jpg
    548BA54A.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Mosfets are made to be a switch with a very low resistance. Their on-resistance is a typical or maximum resistance so you don't know what the actual resistance will be.
Use the PWM to reduce the average current.

I'd like to be more specific. Suppose I have the circuit given below. If I want to achieve 500 mA with the specific load of 5 ohms, should I choose a MOSFET with an RDSon=5 ohms?
(Ignore the PWM, for now...)
If you want to achieve 500mA without using the PWM then you would add an additional 5 ohms in series with the load. You always want the MOSFET to be fully on or off when using it as a switch. You don't use the MOSFET on-resistance to limit the current, since the on-resistance can vary significantly depending upon operating conditions and unit-to-unit variation. It also causes the MOSFET to dissipate heat unnecessarily.

Thank you! Now I suppose I shall choose a MOSFET that its Id max is higher than the current calculated when it is fully ON given the specific circuit. That's about 1A. I think that will do.

Thank you! Now I suppose I shall choose a MOSFET that its Id max is higher than the current calculated when it is fully ON given the specific circuit. That's about 1A. I think that will do.
You also need to look at how much gate voltage will cause how much on-resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back