Choosing the Right Protection for Digital and ADC Inputs

Saeedk9574

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about MCU input protection. Although this topic has been discussed many times in this forum and others, I find myself baffled by the differing answers. Thank you in advance for your insights!

In my project, I will be using both digital input (for a motion detector) and ADC input (for temperature and photocell sensors). First, I would like to know if the protection circuits for digital input and ADC input are different.

Secondly, which of these circuits is recommended, or is there another circuit you would suggest for protecting both digital and ADC inputs?

Thanks again for your help!

Bottom schematic. The power of the overvoltage is clamped by a Diode and Zener. The 10 and 1k resistors limit the current. This is good for TTL but not good for analog if the signal voltage is near 4V. Low voltage Zeners will leak current. The knee is soft. You will see errors in the voltage.

Top schematic. The Zener problem goes away. You can have the input signal in the 0 to 5V range without problems. But now if the power in the overvoltage is too much it will lift the +5V supply. It the wire is connected to +12V it will lift the 5V supply. In this example you will have about 0.5A flowing into the +5V.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…