Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chrominance and Luminance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Iv'e recently pulled out my retro commodore 64 and tape+disk drive from the attic and amazingly it still works. however im using the RF output but i want to use the video+audio out. i was going to follow the schematic on this website The Commodore monitor cable.

I however looked on it and found it had Chrominance and Luminance connections. are these needed to connect the commodore to my TV or can i just use Audio Out and Video Out to connect it up. Thanks everyone. Im not sure if i am in the right forum

Last edited:
Chrominance and luminance can connect to the S-video input of your TV, if it has one. This will give you the best picture (marginally), but you might have to make an adapter.
Otherwise, use the Video Out, which you will connect to the Composite Video input of your TV.
Composite video is just chrominance and luminance summed together. The TV has to separate these with filters before it can use them, and the separation process is imperfect. This is why S-video is slightly better, if you can use it.

thanks for your help. unfortunatly i am using an oldish TV that only takes RF and Scart/Composite. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back