circuit overide

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo13

I have a circuit that has power and is running. I would like to connect
another circuit to this same unit but I want it to overide the other circuit
when power is supplied to it. How do I go about that?
I don't want to use a dual toggle switch so please don't suggest that.
To simplify (hopefully and this is just an example), if you are in a car
and you put on a turn signal and keep it on, then switch to your 4 ways
(hazard lights), the hazard lights overide the turn signals but the turn
signal is still on.
I hope this makes my request easier.

Craig

It really depends on your circuits, but if I understand you right, you would use a relay (or transistor possibly), where the coil of the relay would be connected to the power for the second circuit, and the switch contacts would be connected to the first circuit. Hopefully this makes sense.

I'm a little confused by your question so you'll have to help me out. I understand that you've got your first circuit powered up and running, but you want to "add" another circuit to it which, if enabled, would overide the original. In order to be able to help you, I'll need to know what the function is of both circuits, and what sort of outputs they provide. I can see that you've used a car indicator and hazard system as an analogy - is this analogy relevant to what you're hoping to do with your circuit as well?

Brian

Yeah...we really need to know the function because override means different things depending on the function. Like with lights, override could mean that the hazard lights are on with one blinking because the signal is on (let's just call that overlap). Or override could also mean deactivating one device when the other is powered up, or a number of other things.

Thanks for the replies guys. And yes I just used the turn signal/hazard
light as an analogy.
It basically is just a dual led chaser light circuit. When initially powered up,
the main chaser mode will run with the primary color of the dual led. Using the same circuit board (with the auxiliary output from the other leg of the
dual led), when power is supplied to it, I want the circuit to switch
("override"), to the second color of the led.
I thought about the relay but I don't know what to use. But to continue,
when the power to that auxiliry circuit is cut off I want the circuit to
automatically go back to the primary color of the led ( which should still
have power going to it since it was never shut off).
I hope this gives a better idea of what I am trying to do.

Craig

If your two color LED has 3 leads, that is one problem, if the two color LED has two leads where you reverse the voltage to change color, that is another problem.

Ok, what you want to do is fairly easy but as already mentioned it does depend on what type of bi-colour LEDs you're using. Are you able to post a circuit diagram of your current working circuit so that we can make better suggestions for you?

Brian

Unfortunately no I can't post a picture. I don't have immediate access to
the equipment I need to do so.
However, I can clarify that it is a 3 lead led and not 2. I hope this helps
you to help me

Craig

Are the LEDs common annode or cathode? Is the cathode connected to your chaser circuit? What exactly do you mean by dual toggle switch? (more than one position?)

What are the two colors of the LEDs? If you are using red and green, you may be able to use the different voltage drops to switch the led color. If you wire both LEDs in parallel, the one with the lower voltage drop should turn on (the red led).

I honestly don't know whether it's the anode or cathode. I know enough
about electronics to mess around with some circuitry but not enough to know
all the terminology.
I am presently looking into taking an online electronics course to further
my education on the subject.
But the circuit I intend to use/modify can be found here:
**broken link removed**.
I hope you can access the page. Let me know if you can't.

I meant a 3 position toggle switch. The center would be off and either of
the other 2 contacts would turn a device on.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…