Classification of Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaRyu

Is there any possible way a device to classify an object as biodegradable or nonbiodegradable?

I believe the simple answer is no. Some sort of mass-spectrometer could be used to identify the material and then make the decision based on some criteria. Decision making could be difficult. Is water biodegradable? How fast does the material need to degrade in order to be classified as biodegradable..

What kind of objects are you interested of? You can't expect to be able to classify all possible objects and materials. You have to limit your problem.

Last edited:
Those terms have a regulatory definition that you need to look up for your own country. I suspect, but haven't checked that even within a country, the definitions may depend on context.

From a scientific standpoint:

As pointed out, is water biodegradeable? (My answer = yes. Water can be incorporated into biological substrates by biological processes.) Do the terms actually apply to any inorganic chemicals?

Is kerosene biodegradeable? Again, there are microorganisms that can utilize kerosene for food. That is why jet fuel has antibiotics/antimicrobials in it. By some definitions, kerosene would then be biodegradeable.

From a regulatory standpoint:

Check applicable regulations for testing, such as this one: https://www.astm.org/Standards/E1720.htm

If you check on biodegradeabilty testing, you will find many links to different methods and standards.

John

Last edited:
If a object can be burned up it is likely biodegradeabilty. If it can not be destroyed by fire it probably is not biodegradeabilty. (not scientific but mostly works)

Well, I beg to differ with the above statement.

All objects burn up provided the fire is hot enough.

Did you see "likely", "probably", "not scientific", "mostly"?

We "burned" grandad and sprinkled his ashes on the ground. The iron rod in has leg did not burn.
You are right given enough heat and oxygen the iron would have burned.

I was simply trying to separate 'paper from rock'. Organic from inorganic.
Will it rot down? Will it burn with a match? again; (not scientific but mostly works)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…