Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

clock/timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2k

hey guys
i need to build a timer that beep evry 15 seconds. i dont think i can use a 555 timer as i need a very low consumption timer. im working with a power supply of 3V.
please help..
cheers,
jean

Hi Jean,
If you use LMC555 you will need two of them plus a gate.
A CD74HC4060 is guaranteed to work with a supply voltage down to 2V and is also very low current. It has an oscillator that can be at a reasonably high frequency thus use a small cap and has a digital divider to provide long timing periods.
**broken link removed**

Make a power-up reset circuit for its reset pin 12 with a resistor to ground and a capacitor to +3V.
Make its oscillator about 540 Hz and its buffered output at pin 9 is your beeper frequency.
Its pin 3 output will have a signal that goes high for 15 seconds and low for the next 15 seconds.
Make a transistor beeper driver and a NOT-AND gate with three PNP transistors like my attached sketch. Use pin 5, 6 or 7 for "beeper duration".
Select transistors and resistors to match the current of your transducer.

Attachments

• beeper.gif
    beeper.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 954
Ummm.. audioguru.... in your circuit, after you drop a volt or so across each transistor, how many volts do you have left for your beeper? Not very many, I suspect. :roll:

audioguru,
is the circuit u gave me applicable?
i am actually doing a device tt captures a squence of light from a target then, translating that light signal to time the clock for the device to ring at the desired time.
we will be using an atmel 2313 micon. do i still need a 555 as a timer? or can i jz attached a clock to the micon and let the micon time it.
will it be accurate??
please help.
thanks.

j2k said:
audioguru,
is the circuit u gave me applicable?
i am actually doing a device tt captures a squence of light from a target then, translating that light signal to time the clock for the device to ring at the desired time.
we will be using an atmel 2313 micon. do i still need a 555 as a timer? or can i jz attached a clock to the micon and let the micon time it.
will it be accurate??
please help.
thanks.

That's the first time you've mentioned a microcontroller, so how was anyone supposed to know?.

You should easily be able to do your entire project with the Atmel, no other chips required.

If he is going to use a crystal controlled microcontroller, why are we talking about oscillators and counters?

Why would saturated transistors have a volt or so across them unless they were conducting 20A? My Plants Watering Watcher project has two 2N3906 transistors in series and with a 35mA load, when saturated have about 0.06V across each one. The key to good saturation is a high base current. I feed the bases a whopping 3.4mA, and their current gain is about 300.

audioguru said:
Why would saturated transistors have a volt or so across them unless they were conducting 20A?

:oops: Oops. Yes, yes, after checking a few graphs on datasheets, I conclude that you are correct on this one. (although your 0.06V is still pretty low) :oops:

Hi Phasor,
I chose Fairchild 2N3906 transistors beacause they saturate better than other makes. Mine are a little better than this typical:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back