Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CNC Control Pendant Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

gth629e

Okay,

Am am starting a CNC pendant control and thanks to some of you on hear I was able to find the joystick I needed.

Now I am trying to find the other components I need for the rest of it. Here is problem 1 at the moment.

The pendant will have about 30 + controls which will be connect to a board 6' away. So I chose a 40 conductor ribbon type cable that is sleeved in a round PVC jacket. I chose the flat ribbon type because I would be able to use a crimp termination block.

The pendant and the controller board, which is 6' away both have a 40 PIN standard Male header. Two rows of 20. The pin spacing layout is the standard .01" or 2.54mm spacing. Just like a 40 PIN IDE cable in a pc.

The only problem is I cannot find the female header/termination block for the 40 pin ribbon cable. I chose this so there would not be any need to solder all the wires.

I can not find these things anywhere. Well, I did find one place that sold them. However, it was a pc shop so like on standard IDE cables the 19th pin has been blocked. Which is still fin, as it happens that pin is redundant, but they want to sell these things for $8.00 a piece.

I know Mouser, Digikey, Newark, or someone MUST sale these things but I can not find them anywhere.

Here are the names Ive tried using

IDC headers
ata/33 headers and connectors
ide connectors etc.

Please let me know if you find them, Oh and here is the one site I found them at and they no longer sale them.

**broken link removed**
gth629e is online now Add to gth629e's Reputation

Problem 2

I need to find the cheapest source for producing very simple and small PCB's. The size will only need to be about 3"x4" and would only need to be single sided at best and no ink print required.

Let me know of any choices, also give me some feedback on producing your own via etching etc.

I need about 100 pcs to start. Also, which software would you guys suggest using to design a pcb board?

THANK ALL OF YOU FOR ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE!!

Regards
Brian

If you don't mind waiting FutureLec have them for 60c each.

For software, most people here use the free Eagle software. There is a recent thread about the actual etching etc but, if you want 100 it will be much cheaper to go to a board manufacturer.

Mike.

Thanks guys

Henry,
I was looking for the female socket connectors that splice a ribbon cable and attach to a header like the one from jameco.

Do you guys know of any pcb board manufacturers?

**broken link removed**

They do up to 100pcs. I'm not sure if they're all that good, but they have a shiny website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back