code conversion 16c54 to work on 16f84

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvs sarma

Hai
i joined recently and new to PIC . I seek help to convert a "Clock Design Using Low Power/Cost Techniques" by John Day in his application note AN0615B of microchip. the program is available as CLK8.asm

this was designed for PIC16C54A
i tried to use it with minor changes with PIC16F84A as this chip is reprogrammable. i could not sucseed fully.

Can any one help me please , to translate the clk8.asm to be able to work on PIC16F84

thanks in advance

sarma

Sarma,

You did not leave a link to clk8.asm or the two datasheets. That might save a person time that is willing to look at it. I am not up on the 16C54A.

Are you getting assembly errors? Are the pins 100% compatible on the two datasheets? What part is not working?

mvs sarma said:
Hai
Can any one help me please , to translate the clk8.asm to be able to work on PIC16F84

thanks in advance

sarma
U realy want to use that design? I've seen a few clock designs baed on F84 uC. Realy cheap to.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
http://www.thouters.be/PicChickenSkeleton
See those links (and use Google for more).
BTW...why don't u start with a 16F628? It's much better then 16F84, cheaper and pin for pin compatible with '84. U'l find a lot of prj on the net and u can make ALL 16F84 programs run on it with minor modification (Nigel Goodwin has a tutorial about that if i rem well). Also see this: http://finitesite.com/d3jsys/16F628.html

Thanks mramos1

i am attaching the clk8.asm and microchip AN0615B and a modified clk8a.asm to this post. the asm files are zipped.

the chips are pin compatible and few software changes are required.

i dont get assembly errors

the circuit uses 4 sevensigment displays and the ic runs with 32.768 crystal.

in fact i intended using this in my car, and anxiously waiting for debugging.

Onething, John day's clk8.asm, as one of my gurus commented. is very very compact and optimal
regards
sarma

Last edited:
thanks Tarsil
i had already assembled this one
yes i have seen the propeller clock and the related items

i have also seen a jal modified ver of An0615 clock with 16F84 and Mhz clock with dispalays complemented with CC version and provision for ICSP-- but JAL rather not acquainted

sarma

It should be fairly easy to convert from the 54 to the 84, as it's upwards compatible - but really it's going from one antique to another, you may as well use a modern PIC instead.

For a start alter the GPR addresses, the 54 starts far lower, also remove the reset address - even vaguely modern PIC's reset to 0x0000. Add the 'goto init' as the first line after the 'org 0x0000' - if using a modern PIC disable any unwanted hardware here as well.

The code itself is VERY basic, it uses no special facilities at all, and should port easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…