Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coil Gun Build (ADVICE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingkong

I’m planning on building a small portable coil gun (Packed inside a pellet gun) powered by a bunch of crappy little 330v 120uf photoflash capacitors, and I’m looking for someone advice so I don’t blow my self up :D.

My power source is going to be a bunch of AA batteries, or (2) 6v, or a 12v if I can find a small lightweight one that is rechargeable (I also want to be able use a 18.5V laptop power source and just plug my gun up via the wall so I don’t blow a ton of money on batteries) Anyways either the batteries or the laptop charger will plug into an inverter that I kinda stole from my moms car, she thought it was broken but it was just a blown fuse. This is the inverter (https://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=4612) Input: 10.7-15.5vdc 70watts – Output 110/120vac. Then I want to use a voltage multiplier to increase the 120vac to 280-330v dc using a rectifier after to charge the caps. Also, I was planning on running a small fan to keep everything cool inside my gun enclosure.

My questions are:

1. Will this even work?
2. Which is the best method for powering up the gun AA’s, 6v’s or a 12v? and will the inverter drain to much out of the batteries?
3. Can I use a voltage multiplier to increase the 120vac? and how? Or should I step the voltage up with a transformer?
4. Can I use a rectifier to change the AC to dc at that high of a voltage?
5. Can I separate some of the output voltage of the inverter to power some of the output voltage of the inverter to power my fan, and maybe :rolleyes: an optical trigger device for a second stage?

I’m not that experienced in electronics as you can tell, and I know this is a dangerous build :eek:. But any help would be greatly appreciated, I absolutely love how coil guns work and I’m determined to build one Sooo please help me!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
No you need to make a charge pump like in the photoflash. The inverter will not work it will waste to much energy.
Can I separate some of the output voltage of the inverter to power some of the output voltage of the inverter
What?

Alright well looks like I need to learn alot more before i start this project.. but thanks for the help 4pyros, about that question i dont know what the hell i was thinking haha. What I ment was that I wanted to pretty much use some of the output Vac and make a seperate little deal where i could hook a fan up so that all the stuff in my gun wouldnt overheat..

So i should ditch the inverter, use a transformer to kick up the voltage then use a charge pump to charge the caps? Am i sort of on the right trackk?

Just use a charge pump from the batterys, just like a photoflash would. Air cool your parts. A fan would use a lot of power to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back