Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Commercial service to build circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

yjacket

I have designed a fairly simple data logging circuit.
It uses just a 16F628 and a serial eeprom.

I know that there are many services that will build a
PCB for you and ship it to you, but does anybody know
of any services that will not only make the PCB, but also
put the components on and do the soldering?

I am in the USA btw and am willing to do things mail order.

My circuit will just have 2 chips and a few caps basically.
If I could have a professionally done board with SMT
components delivered to me, that would be really sweet.

I would then just do ICSP on the microcontroller and
solder in the external sensor.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

you might be able to find something like that but it's probably going to cost you a LOT more than it's worth...

with a little practice and some cheap equipment you can easily solder just about any part imaginable... even high-density surface-mount parts can be soldered with just an iron and some desoldering braid and/or a solder sucker...

of course, if you need BGA's or leadless packages, then you will be out of luck.

if you really hate soldering, i'm sure you could find someone on this board who you could ship the board and parts to and get them soldered for you for a small price... i've got all the stuff and experience, as i'm sure many others on here do...

Soldering surface mount chips with a large pin count is a bit difficult, but it's doable. Check out this one I did back in school. **broken link removed** I made a few of these. It takes about 20 minutes for the first row of 25 pins, then 5 minutes each for the three remaining rows, after getting into the swing of things and not accidentally bridging so often. :) It's kind of funny because it was like that every day I went to make one. 20 mins for first row, 5 for each remainder. If you do decide to do multiple boards, or at least multiple chips with closely spaced pins, I highly recommend doing it all at once, while you're in The Zone(TM). As for a company that will make the PCB and place the parts for you for low cost, I don't know of any place.

Look www.barebonespcb.com - this is a cheapest place for low qty boards.

As for SMD soldering - it is not that difficult, just get a good soldering iron with small tip and adjustable temperature. $5 iron will not work. Look at minimum $100 may be more.

Attachments

• board_005.jpg
    board_005.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,011
Andy_123 said:
Look at minimum $100 may be more.

*ahem*

**broken link removed**

$34.95, ceramic element, adjustable temperature, fine point, AND I have a complete schematic available for anyone who wants it in case you ever have any problems with it.

It's done perfectly fine for all the SMD soldering I've done. I'd also like to note that very fine-gauge solder makes it easier as well, as it's easy to apply small amounts so it's harder to bridge pins.

PCBExpress.com will make your boards. They have a partner that will load them for you. It's not cheap though.

I'm with every one else - you should spend the time to learn to solder surface mount components its really not that hard.

$34.95, ceramic element, adjustable temperature, fine point,
This may be good one, I just don't know.
I know all my problems went away since I got on EBAY brand new Weller WSL with digital temperature comtrol - PIC based :wink:

Hey Andy_123:

I'm looking at the pic you posted of the surface mount board you did.

How come the chips don't have any labels on them? Did you paint
the chips black or something to cover up the names?

kcn

How come the chips don't have any labels on them? Did you paint
the chips black or something to cover up the names?
Microsoft Photo Editor :) Smudge tool :p
If you want to know chips used, PM me

Andy_123 said:
Microsoft Photo Editor :) Smudge tool :p

Is it really so secretive that the chips used couldn't be divulged to the masses at once? :p

Another source for pcb's

Here's another source for PCB's if you want or need double-sided with mask and silks screens. At $2.50 square inch it sounds like a good deal. **broken link removed**

I do appreciate the barebones link and will be sure to add it to my bookmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back