common collector confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadtrip85

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

hello everyone, ive seen some web sites use both of the setup above as a common collector circuit. What i dont really understand is the second setup, it doesnt make any sense to me, because the common point is clearly at the Emmitter, what am i missing here? thanks

You are missing the fact that common means AC common, not DC common. In both configurations the collector is at AC ground (no AC voltage). Also in both configurations the AC output is across the emitter resistor. The common point is not the emitter in either case.

Make sense?

The top schematic is peculiar. Very rarely (in 25 years of electronics) have I seen the more negative voltage at the top. If you are new to electronics, always use the bottom configuration - the most positive voltage at the top, the most negative at the bottom. Also helps if signal come into the circuit on the left and leave via outputs on the right. It just makes the circuit more instinctive to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…