Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common-Emitter output resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack23

Hello all,

I have a problem that has been assinged to me. It is involving a Common-Emitter Amplifier. Please see attached PDF. I have looked over my texts and can't seem to find a way to get started in tackling this problem. Any feedback would be GOLD! Thank you.

Attachments

• scan0007.pdf
    245.2 KB · Views: 468
The common-emitter transistor is a current-sink with an extremely high output impedance. The output impedance of the entire amplifier circuit is basically only the value of the collector resistor.

Ugh... are people still using h-parameter notation?

While a degenerated CE stage has a high output resistance, it still has an output resistance. I believe the question is, "What is the output resistance at the collector, ignoring RC?"

To solve this, imagine RC to be infinite; now apply a "wiggle voltage" to eo. When you wiggle eo, how much current will flow into (or out of) the collector? The "Show That" equation gives you a hint: hoe. What is hoe? How can it be represented using a physical element? Draw that element into the diagram, and start drawing and labeling where currents might flow due to wiggling eo.

- Carl

The schematic doesn't show a bootstrapped collector resistor which increases the output impedance of a common-emitter amplifier dramatically.

audioguru said:
The schematic doesn't show a bootstrapped collector resistor which increases the output impedance of a common-emitter amplifier dramatically.

True, it's an internal characteristic of the transistor. And, actually, the ro of the transistor decreases the output impedance. That is, a device with an (ideal) infinite ro will have an infinite output impedance.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back