Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Component Organizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

msr

Hello,

I would like to introduce you to my recently project. Its not quite an electronics project but a software project, so I hope Im on the right forum's thread.
I think this is my first post here, but I haven't any intention to came here just to make some publicity about it. I just want to share something I think could be useful for others. The program is obviously FREE.

Component Organizer looks like this:

**broken link removed**

I wanted to introduce myself to C# but I also wanted to create something useful. So I created this program which lets you easily organize your electronic parts, datasheets and also application notes. Because this is a very light application, I think this is ideal to use in a PEN drive, so you could always have all the important data with you.

There are also options to easily share data between two (or more) PC's or PEN drives.
Other features you might find useful: it makes use of labels to find components more easily, you can append files (eg. source code, etc) to application notes, application notes can be associated to components, datasheets from many manufacturers can be appended to components...

And that's it. The program is very simple, I think you'd better try it to evaluate yourself its functionalities.

DOWNLOAD can be done here:
COMPONENT ORGANIZER

I hope it has some use for you, at least, as it has for me.
Feel free to make suggestions or share you opinion. Feedback is very welcomed!

People are generally wary about installing software on their computers.

I might have a go testing it under WINE in Linux.

I just have a few fishing tackle boxes with the components organised into different compartments and a couple of cases of resistors with all the different values in labelled tubes.

I have a datasheet archive on my PC but most of the time I just Google.

Im not sure if it works on Linux, I didn't test it with WINE by the way. Can you please give some feedback Hero999?
The problem of C# is that besides running on .NET platform, right now is still very "just-windows-friendly".

Well, the purpose of this program is to be as handy as possible. Unlike using spreadsheets (like Excel) it makes possible some other useful (IMO) things, like labels to find faster your components, view datasheets from more than one manufacturer with a simple click, append files (zip, rar files with source code, for example) also accessible from just a click.

All information is saved in a XML file which you can open in Excel or other excel-like program.

You can also have this program on your PEN drive which make it very portable. All you need is a PC with Windows installed.

In fact "windows-only" is a cons, Im considering to port it to Java.

Thank you for the replies!

Last edited:
Hi msr, I like your solution. I have a similar solution for keeping track of my tools and parts, which I created on the .NET framework and Microsoft SQL server. It's cool for me to see someone else working with the same software, because I've been on my own since I started the project. There is definitely an advantage using this method, hyperinking and don't forget you can access and update your information, along with graphics, using any browser.

It's been awhile since I worked on this project. At one time I was going to be an internet tool reseller. Hmmmmm.... you've got me thinking about taking it up again :)

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I tried running it under Wine and I go the following error message:

"install the Windows version of Mono to run .NET executables"

I'll look into it, it looks like it's possible.

(2 years later... :D)

Hello,

I would like to let you know that I'm rewriting Component Organizer to make it cross platform and open source. I'm planning to release the code and executables by the end of this month. The current CO's website is on http://3xdigital.com/comporg (my old free domain provider, uni.cc, went out of business). Here are some GUI screenshots of what I've accomplished so far. Feedback is very welcomed!

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Pretty cool how it has developed. Something I like is the data sheet link. The data sheets I have are a disorganized disaster all over hell's half acre. Maybe when I retire I'll have time to finally reinvent organization in my life. :)

Ron

Just to let you know that CO is finaly released and the source code is on Github!
I finished it some time ago but I have been a bit lazy to share it on forums :eek:)
Official website its here: https://3xbla.wordpress.com/component-organizer/

Feel free to contribute!
Im still very busy doing my MSc thesis which has nothing to do with CO, but I would really like to see some activity on CO development. The next main goal is to integrate it with Octopart (https://octopart.com/) and add a BOM manager for projects. I wrote some hints (in fact, very simple hints) on how to get started with that: **broken link removed**

(can't I edit the first post? the info there is very outdated)

Where are the little elves that will spend the 4MMH (mega Man-hours) inputting my inventory into the system? That's the problem I have with any hobbyist inventory system: the system consumes all your time, unless you start at the same time you start your hobby. And even then, you become a slave to the system, adding, subtracting, deleting, changing locations, adding data sheets, scanning data sheets, etc. And then what happens if the software platform goes out of support and the data is not transferable? I'm the official Electronics Curmudgeon. If I want to know my inventory level (not really that often when I consider it), I look in the drawer where the parts are stored and count. Data sheets? I use my databooks when I need a data sheet because I absolutely cannot stand Internet or CD-ROM-based "data sheets" -- I can't write on them. Bottom line: if the inventory program works for you, wonderful!

Last edited:
... Data sheets? I use my databooks when I need a data sheet because I absolutely cannot stand Internet or CD-ROM-based "data sheets" -- I can't write on them.

:D

Yep, that's the problem with Adobe Acrobat and datasheets, you can't scribble in notes and correct the specs, and you can't make it dog-eared on those pages you open up the most.

Old timer; "Books are great!"
Student; "Yeah i have lots of books here on my i-pad"
Old timer; "Grrrr"
;)

*Another 2 years later*

I really like this app. Just downloaded it today because I have a ton of parts but not too many that it's overwhelming to add them all.

Something I'd like to see in this is a little box that would show the parts symbol and/or pinout, and/or some kind of "section" (options, or edit part) where I could label the pins for IC's and stuff.

Also, where does it store the information? At the very least it might be nice to be able to export to CSV/Excel.

Yesterday I tidied up close to 80% of my "inventory". Even some parts were binned after a struggle against my habit of keeping everything, "just in case".

But, as Dean said, some years ago, somewhere above, tying myself to an inventory, no gracias.

Good luck.

I don't know if you guys hear about the Chipseasy. Pretty much similar as what you are discussing about. It is a smart electronic parts storage and management device on your desktop - store, search, and use parts digitally. It has its independent software as well to monitory the part inventory.
Link deleted - moderator
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
How much are you charginng for it?

I just found on KS.

Link deleted, this looks like a Kickstarter project which is not in production yet. - Moderator

Good deal. Hope it can help. atferrari

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back