Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

composite and component

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNIPE

Banned
can i use the composite audio L and R (red and white) for the component audio?

is the tv defined by the video for each mode? (for example,TV,SCART,PC,HDMI1
because the tv needs to be able to play audio even though its plugged into the audio but for a different mode from the video mode

**broken link removed**

EG: if i chose to use the composite video but the audio for the component will i get audio if i use the tv mode/source named 'composite'?

Last edited:
Yes, there is only one analog audio signal and it's the same for composite or component.

ok, i tuned into composite 1 for video and tried to use the audio from composite 2 but didn't get any audio from composite 1 just video

it might work on the console (DVD player for example) but i don't know about the TV

i also tried the DVI audio and SCART to audio adapter but none worked

i hope tuning and using the video into component 1 and using the audio from composite 1 gives me audio in component 1 too

Last edited:
hi S,
Composite is only a video signal, no audio.
As Carl says there is ONLY L and R for stereo audio and the LEFT for mono

ok i tuned into composite source using the yellow video connector and cable plugged the audio beside the component connectors but im still not getting any audio when i go to the composite source, only video

i used the red and white connectors next to the component connectors instead of using the red and white next to the yellow composite

Last edited:
ok i tuned into composite source using the yellow video connector and cable plugged the audio beside the component connectors but im still not getting any audio when i go to the composite source, only video

i used the red and white connectors next to the component connectors instead of using the red and white next to the yellow composite
hi,
Look at this image.

Attachments

• hdtvcomp-stb.jpg
    hdtvcomp-stb.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 195
yes they are the same 2 conectors i used but no audio

next to the yellow video connector are the audio jacks (red and white) on my TV

and next to the 3 component video jacks are another 2 audio connectors (again, red and white) on my TV

i used the yellow for video and the 2 audio jacks next to the 3 component video jacks but i didn't get any audio along with the video (yellow)

i want to be able to use the red and white video connectors for composite or component video on the tv and vice versa

Last edited:
Sources generally share one set of audio outputs between composite and component as Eric's picture shows, but a TV has separate audio inputs since the composite and component may come from different sources. If you want to share the audio between the two inputs you can use two RCA splitters such as this, one for each channel.

On the first splitter, plug each of the RCA male splitter plugs into each of the Red audio inputs for composite and component on the TV. Plug the RCA output cable from the Red source into the splitter RCA female socket.

On the second splitter, plug each of the RCA male splitter plugs into each of the White audio inputs for composite and component on the TV. Plug the RCA output cable from the White source into the splitter RCA female socket.

On the first splitter, plug each of the RCA male splitter plugs into each of the Red audio inputs for composite and component on the TV. Plug the RCA output cable from the Red source into the splitter RCA female socket.

On the second splitter, plug each of the RCA male splitter plugs into each of the White audio inputs for composite and component on the TV. Plug the RCA output cable from the White source into the splitter RCA female socket.

hmmm ,could you draw a diagram
i dont get what you mean when you say plug the RCA output cable from the Red source into the splitter RCA female socket. they is red and white female connections on each Y splitter and i don't know what colour the male splitter end is

Please pay attention. You are confused because you are describing a splitter with two female connectors and one male connector, which is not the one I referenced. That type of splitter will not work for your requirements. If you notice, my link for a splitter cable does not show any reference colors, and it has two male outputs and one female input. That is the type you need.

Simply connect all the red inputs and outputs together with one splitter, and all the white inputs and outputs together using the other splitter. It's not complicated.

**broken link removed**
ok done that so where do the other ends of the splitters go to

Last edited:
ok done that so where do the other ends of the splitters go to
What other ends? On each splitter, two go to the two on the TV and the third goes to the source.

the ends left over on the black lines are the male connector

the brown line is for the vice versa

using audio from another source which using component video
or
using audio from another source which using composite video

Last edited:
I guess a picture is indeed worth a thousand words. Here's the hookup. Two connections for each Y connector to the TV and the other to the DVD player.

Now was that so hard?

Audio Hookup.JPG

OACH! i get it now, i got mixed up and thaought the loose ends were for the dvd player when they should have been connected

thanks alot for everything :)

it will be better so swap the 2 right connectors (underneath each other) over so i get L and R for both audios on the TV

Last edited:
it will be better so swap the 2 right connectors (underneath each other) over so i get L and R for both audios on the TV
What? If you connect it like the diagram (all reds connected together and all whites connected together) you will get stereo for either composite or component to the TV. Don't understand what you mean by swapping connectors over.

(if you swap the 2 ends over you would get composite and component stereo playing at the same time but thats a different story)

the thing is, will i get the audio next to the composite video jacks but playing along side the displayed component video?
and vice versa

Last edited:
The connections I show will give you stereo sound from the DVD player if you select either the composite or component input on the TV. The TV will not allow both composite and component be on at the same time so your comment about them "playing at the same time" makes no sense.

The signal doesn't care and is not affected by the order of the connection, so I don't understand you comment about "swap the 2 ends".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back