Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer Controlled Controller :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Just wondering if someone can suggest the viability of such a project as described.
Its a little complicated so stick with me.
You know a Carputer right, where a computer is placed in a car, LCD screen is used for monitor etc. Well i wish to make a RoomPuter. Well i wish to start with one room, then do another and another, then eventually network the whole lot so one console can control another. Thats all fine and dandy.
The problem i am having atm, is that i have multiple Sterio's around the house, and sometimes in rooms. One of the controllers in the RoomPyter would be the ability to control these eg. ON/OFF, Channel up/down and change inputs etc.
So i need to find out how i an control a controller (IR) like what is used for the sterio, so that the commands can be sent via a computer. without mutilating the controller :p

So i was wondering if anyone knows how the signals are sent over IR to the sterio's. Is it a change in wavelength? or binary via on/off of light, or even change in intensity that is actually sent to the receiver??
Then how would one go about replicating this action with a normal IR Led??

It's a binary code, carried on a frequency of (usually) between 36KHz and 40KHz - check my PIC tutorials for details of the Sony system known as SIRC's. Different manufacturers use different systems though, the most popular is the Philips RC5 system, used by quite a few different manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back