Computer Controlled Controller :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Just wondering if someone can suggest the viability of such a project as described.
Its a little complicated so stick with me.
You know a Carputer right, where a computer is placed in a car, LCD screen is used for monitor etc. Well i wish to make a RoomPuter. Well i wish to start with one room, then do another and another, then eventually network the whole lot so one console can control another. Thats all fine and dandy.
The problem i am having atm, is that i have multiple Sterio's around the house, and sometimes in rooms. One of the controllers in the RoomPyter would be the ability to control these eg. ON/OFF, Channel up/down and change inputs etc.
So i need to find out how i an control a controller (IR) like what is used for the sterio, so that the commands can be sent via a computer. without mutilating the controller

So i was wondering if anyone knows how the signals are sent over IR to the sterio's. Is it a change in wavelength? or binary via on/off of light, or even change in intensity that is actually sent to the receiver??
Then how would one go about replicating this action with a normal IR Led??

It's a binary code, carried on a frequency of (usually) between 36KHz and 40KHz - check my PIC tutorials for details of the Sony system known as SIRC's. Different manufacturers use different systems though, the most popular is the Philips RC5 system, used by quite a few different manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…