Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confused on how to wire this 4 MHz Quartz Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

integralx2

How would I go about wiring this. I plan to connect it to OSC1 on a microcontroler, and OSC2 pin on microcontroller. Would i just take the ground and just run it to OSC2 pin ? I am confused on how to connect it.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

What you have there pictured is a 4 pin quartz oscillator in a complete package and that is not what I believe you want. You would want I believe is a 3 pin ceramic resonator. Like the attached image.

This device consists of a resonator and two loading capacitors in a single 3 pin package. The center pin is connected to 0V and the outer two pins to the two resonator pins, typically labeled OSC 1 and OSC 2 (the resonator can be used either way around).

Ron

Attachments

• resonator..jpg
    resonator..jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 389
PICs will accommodate either a self-contained oscillator module like the OP posted , or will work with an external resonator or crystal and feedback capacitors. Configuration bits are used to tell the PIC which type of oscillator is connected. This is all shown on the data sheet for the specific micro-controller. Just go ahead and download the data sheet from the maker's web site.

PICs will accommodate either a self-contained oscillator module like the OP posted , or will work with an external resonator or crystal and feedback capacitors. Configuration bits are used to tell the PIC which type of oscillator is connected. This is all shown on the data sheet for the specific micro-controller. Just go ahead and download the data sheet from the maker's web site.

Thanks Mike, I wasn't sure. I knew what the OP had but "thought" he wanted a resonator. Thanks for pointing out a PIC will work with either.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back