Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confused- PIC data protection??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalmation

Hi-
Just wondering about pic microcontroller data protection..

Programming some PIC16F627 and I have enabled data protect (to protect entire code area).

But I can still read the chip with my programmer?? Why does that happen- am I missing something?

I thought it made the chip unreadable (until erased).

I want to prevent the chip being copied by someone wanting to 'clone' my PCB.

I'm not up to speed with PIC's, but if someone could explain better- that would be great.

-Thanks in advance.

-DAlmation.

dalmation said:
Hi-
Programming some PIC16F627 and I have enabled data protect (to protect entire code area).
You are maybe confusing DATA protection with CODE protection. CPD (bit8) in the CONFIGURATION WORD protects the EEprom data area NOT the FLASH program area. The FLASH program area is protected by clearing bits 10-13 in the CONFIGURATION WORD.

Have you got code for a 627A but are programming a 627. Microchip changed the config settings between the 2 versions and the code protect bits are different. Your config value should start with a 0 for code protection to be on.

Mike.

dalmation said:
Hi-
Just wondering about pic microcontroller data protection..

But I can still read the chip with my programmer?? Why does that happen- am I missing something?

I thought it made the chip unreadable (until erased).

It does, if you set it correctly - as already suggested, you need to set code protection on, data protection is only for the data EEPROM area.

Sorry- I did mean code-protection, not data protection.

I'll recompile the program specifically for 627 (I did compile for 628A, yes).

If I get it to work properly- I shouldnt be able to read it, but I can still erase and start again- is that right?

-Dalmation

Yes, you should be able to erase. Does it now read back as all zeroes?

Mike.

dalmation said:
Sorry- I did mean code-protection, not data protection.

I'll recompile the program specifically for 627 (I did compile for 628A, yes).

If I get it to work properly- I shouldnt be able to read it, but I can still erase and start again- is that right?

Yes, with the FLASH/EEPROM chips you can - but don't ever try it on the UV eraseable JW chips!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Yes, with the FLASH/EEPROM chips you can - but don't ever try it on the UV eraseable JW chips!.

Why not, you can still erase and start again with the JW chips or do you know something I don't.:confused:

Mike.

Okay- sorted.

The firmweare was written for the 628 and I was using it on the 627- even with setting the config on the programmer- it wasnt playing ball. I tried again onto a 628 chip and everything went perfect.

Thanks for your help guys.

-Dalmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back