Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confussion in power dissipation of ''2SC1971'' !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

I am little confuse in Max Power Dissipation of 2sc1971. What this ambiant/case temperature mean by....:-
- Ta= 25 oC = 1.5 watt
- Tc= 25 oC = 12 watt

*What is that difference mean? *What is the actual power dissipation on circuit board?
*May I use it on 5 watt FM RF Amplifier?
Make me clear in basic level please

Hi,

That means 1.5 watts with no heatsink.
12 watts with infinite heatsink.
Somewhere in between with a regular heatsink (like 5 watts).
So yes it should work up to 5 watts.

Hi,

So yes it should work up to 5 watts.[/QUOTE

Not necessarily true. You are assuming that the power dissipation of this transistor is equal to, or less than, the output power of the amplifier.

Unless you know the circuit that he is using, and where this part is in that circuit, you can't know that.

Hi,

So yes it should work up to 5 watts.[/QUOTE

Not necessarily true. You are assuming that the power dissipation of this transistor is equal to, or less than, the output power of the amplifier.

Unless you know the circuit that he is using, and where this part is in that circuit, you can't know that.

Hello,

Yeah well guess what? I *know* that. Apparently *you* are the one that doesnt know that :)

In a regular 4 or 5 watt amplifier circuit this will work. There's no reason to think he's going to use a circuit which isnt designed right in the first place. If the circuit isnt designed right it is even possible that a 1000 watt transistor wont work in a 1 watt application.

Last edited:
Hello,

Yeah well guess what? I *know* that. Apparently *you* are the one that doesnt know that :)

In a regular 4 or 5 watt amplifier circuit this will work. There's no reason to think he's going to use a circuit which isnt designed right in the first place. If the circuit isnt designed right it is even possible that a 1000 watt transistor wont work in a 1 watt application.

My most humble apologies MrAl. I can see now that I made a mistake in reading your statement "So yes it should work up to 5 watts." as being in response to the OP's question "*May I use it on 5 watt FM RF Amplifier?" Reading it again, I see that you were not answering his question at all, but just saying that the 2SC1971 can dissipate 5 watts. (with a proper heatsink, of course)

At the time I wrote my first response, there was no reference circuit posted. I did not know if the OP was building from someone elses circuit, designing a new amp, or trying to find a substitute for another transistor. And even now that he has posted a circuit, I have no way of knowing if it was, as you say "designed right in the first place" The internet is full of poorly designed circuits. Even the OP was skeptical, or he wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Hi Chris,

Oh, thanks very much for explaining that. I understand your post much better now and see where you were coming from and it all makes sense :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back