Connect Toroid to project

ThomsCircuit

LED Flasher Project:
I put this together and of course it does not function as it should. The LED is supposed to flash after you momentary short the header pins. I would like your help in connecting the toroid to the breadboard correctly so I can rule out it being the possible reason for it not working.

I also do not have a 1nf (C2). The next value I have is [10nf]. I also have a [0.1nf] How crucial is this? Could I use the 10nf?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my interpretation of the authors schematic.

This is the authors schematic.

The toroid I wound. The matching 2 dots represent the wires have continuity. The numbers I gave them have no relation to the schematic.

This is my Breadboard. The red dots represent where the toroid goes.

Last edited:
You could use 10 nF and change R2 to 220 kOhm and it should work the same as the time constant between C2 and R2 will be the same. It will use a tiny amount more current.

As far as I can see, the numbers in the photo of the toroid correspond to the numbers in the circuit diagram. 1 connects to 2, and 1 and three both go through the middle of the toroid in the same direction.

The circuit is a "Joule Thief" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule_thief) with an added oscillator to make it flash. I can't see what is controlling the voltage on C3 so I would be worried that might get too large.

I would try getting the Joule Thief bit working first without the IC or C3

As far as I can see, the numbers in the photo of the toroid correspond to the numbers in the circuit diagram. 1 connects to 2, and 1 and three both go through the middle of the toroid in the same direction.
So I connect the toroid like this. I numbered the dots. And my toroid photo just happen to match up. Cool

I would try getting the Joule Thief bit working first without the IC or C3
so there is a way to test the toroid. Would it be making one of the more simple designs as i see in the link you posted?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…