Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting radio to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hesam Kamalan

hi
i want to connect one radio to my computer (with parrallel or USB port) and change stations from my computer. i want to lessen to the radio via computer and speekers. is it practical or no?

Hesam Kamalan said:
hi
i want to connect one radio to my computer (with parrallel or USB port) and change stations from my computer. i want to lessen to the radio via computer and speekers. is it practical or no?

You can buy radio cards for computers, either internal or USB, simply plug one in!.

In that case you're talking a LOT of expense, it's NOT really a trivial project, for a start you've got to build a PLL digitally controlled radio, then an interface to either parallel or USB.

Ripping apart an old analog radio and mechanically driving the tuning knob would be amusing in an odd retro sort of way. When dealing with a cheap off-the-shelf "normal" radio, the ugly part would probably be trying to hack around the human interface.

Buttons are likely in a matrix configuration, so that's the first "ouch", the second is trying to interpret any user output from something like a LCD - which would be pretty tricky. Probably impossible without having a microcontroller directly parsing the LCD control lines.

Might be easier to splice in/ hack directly into something that resembles a varactor in the tuning section. If there is one - that is.

James

its a good idea to get the analog signal from FM radio and convert it into digital interface it to computer and play it using a program. That way the output would be better and less noisy. Lets say we got the digital data some how and theres a stepper motor interface to control the frequency knob. Which program would be appropriate for the rest of digital signal processing? Matlab?

Hello. Silabs has a reference design for an USB enabled FM radio. It can be purchased for $35 from Mouser.

You can also buy the radio chip and interface to your own ucontroller. Philips also has a numbers of **broken link removed** that might be useful.

JR

What about a servo, that gives accurate position control? Or a motor with PID control, but that only makes sense if the knob rotates round and round (sorta like a slipper dial...what do you call these?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back