Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting RS232 cable to level converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

As was discussed in previous post, I'd like to connect RS232 cable to a level converter (the main goal is to have the PC interfacing a microcontroller).

Could you help me complete the level converter's column (ICL3223)?

**broken link removed**

These are the functions of the relevant pins:

**broken link removed**

Thanks.

Without a specific reason or application a lot of hobbyists and DIYers use only the TxD and RxD pins. You probably don't need the other pins connected and if you're using a hardware UART on a microcontroller chances are they're not supported any way. On the ICL3223 tie any unused inputs high or low as per the datasheet and nothing more need be done.

Thanks.

I currently just think of using TxD and RxD, however I dont want to rule out any possibilities at this stage.

Therefore I'm wondering whether there are more pins that need to be connected.

Also, is it correct that in the RS-232, CTS is an input and RTS is an output?

Thanks again.

Thanks.

I currently just think of using TxD and RxD, however I dont want to rule out any possibilities at this stage.

Therefore I'm wondering whether there are more pins that need to be connected.

Also, is it correct that in the RS-232, CTS is an input and RTS is an output?

Thanks again.

See... that is the most confusing part about RS232. Which end is DCE and which is DTE. In the old days, the computer was the DTE and the modem was DCE. At any rate, RTS is an output from DTE and CTS is input on DCE.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike!

What you just said settles with what I just read in Wiki - the RTS originates from the DTE (PC) and the CTS originates from the DCE (levels converter).

Besides the 4 pins - RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS - are there any other pins that should be connected between RS232 and the levels converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back