Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connecting toys, beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einar

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my bachelors exhibition in graphic design. As a part of that exhibition i will make small "printers" out of toys and a pen, letting the visitors make their own random poster.

The main toy i'm using is a so called I-BUG (**broken link removed**) which is activated by sound and then moves around randomly. As I don't want the toy to be able to be activated all the time, I want to remote control the on/off-switch. To accomplish that I'm trying to use these mini RC-cars - but without success. What I'm trying to find out is how the output from the RC-car (about 2 Volt) should function as a switch for the I-BUG. Or if there is some other easy way to make a remote controlled on/off-switch (wont be able to use IR though, since I am making four of these "printers", and they should be activated at the same time...)

Since I'm a beginner I need really easy instructions...

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Einar, Sweden

Some pictures of the innards of the RC car you're planning on using would be useful, and where you're reading this 2 volts from.

I would replace the motor (I assume the remote can turn the motor on/off) in the mini RC-car with a 1.5V or 3V relay and connect the contacts of the relay across the switch on the I-bug. How many things can you control on the mini RC-car with the remote?
3V relay:
http://pewa.panasonic.com/pcsd/product/sign/pdf_cat/hy.pdf

Last edited:
Only if it's true on and off, not like a servo signal or a speed controller, otherwise what you could be signing the death warrant to the relay they use. Even then many tiny RC cars automatically work in a PWM mode and only disable it when a 'turbo' button is held which makes the receive use a direct non modulated connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back