Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connnect usb touch screen to a PS/2 port on a VOD device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biocyberman

I am a home user of a Video On Demand device. It is several years old before I try connecting a touch screen to it. I can get image signal via the VGA port to the touch screen. The screen's VGA cable has a USB appendix to collect touch/mouse signal (see the first picutre below).

What I have tried
I used a USB (feamale) to PS/2 male adaptor to connect the USB head to the PS/2 port on the back of VOD device (picture 2). It did not work. But I know that the VOD Device is capable of using touch screen via this PS/2 port.

I would like to add that the VOD device has an internal HDD which contains a Linux boot partition using vmlinux and a data patition which also contains config files for the device.

I have enabled touchscreen feature in the GUI of the VOD with a remote control. When I powered up the device, it gave an error message saying something like "your touch screen is fault, please contact support". Warranty is expired, and it is not possible for me to buy the supported touchscreen produced by the same manufacturer of VOD Device.

Is there anyway I can make the screen to work with the VOD device? I am worried that the manufacturer has restricted the VOD to work only with their touch screens.

The interesting question (to me)
Since I don't have documentation about the VOD, what tools can I use to explore the ROM/Firmware inside the HDD to see if there is any hope to me the things work together?
k4nh4.jpg

awaus.jpg

USB and PS/2 aren't at all compatible - the 'adaptors' are nothing of the sort - they only work with specific devices (such as some mice) which include both USB and PS/2 connections internally, and select the correct type via the adaptor.

Hi,
Thanks for taking a look at this. From what you said, the problem here is that the screen is expecting USB touch signal via but the VOD is sending PS/2 touch signal. So it is a no-go in this case?

Hi,
Thanks for taking a look at this. From what you said, the problem here is that the screen is expecting USB touch signal via but the VOD is sending PS/2 touch signal. So it is a no-go in this case?

I would have said so.

I suppose it would be possible to create a micro-controller circuit between the two, with USB host to read the touch screen, and convert to PS/2 to send on.

But it would be EXTREMELY complicated, and require reverse engineering both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back