Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Containing 12V & 5V Power Supplies in One Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

avoyles

Hello everyone!

I registered for this forum to pick someone's brain for a small electronics project I am working on.

I am currently trying to design a DIY magnetic stir plate, like those used in laboratory settings for mixing solutions, etc. The stirring action in my project is to come from a small neodymium magnet mounted on the axis of rotation of a 12V DC pulse-width modulated PC fan - as the fan spins, so will the magnet, creating a rotating magnetic field to act upon a stir bar placed in any containers above the plate.

One key aspect of the project is to have fine control over stir speed, and therefore control over fan rotation speed. I know that pulse-width modulation (and other voltage regulation techniques) of the fan's DC operating voltage is hazardous to the fan's internal circuitry and such, but also has very poor control over fan speeds as the duty cycle approaches 0% and 100%.

Therefore, I have planned on implementing a separate PWM control circuit (outputting a signal to the fan's dedicated PWM input pin) to control fan speed.

The fan requires 12V supply for operation, and the PWM circuit requires 5V supply, outputting a signal between 5V (100% duty cycle), and 0V (0% duty cycle) to the fan, to adjust fan speed. I had planned on containing all the circuitry in a nice stained wooden cigar box I had lying around, functioning essentially as a black box - a simple control knob to adjust the duty cycle of the fan, contained in an elegant package.

My question is this - how can I elegantly have two different voltage supplies coming into the box, to power these two circuits? I have some experience with dabbling in circuitry on various projects, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to accomplish this as elegantly as possible (I really don't want to have to run two wall-wart type AC adapters into the case).

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Use a 12V wallwart and use that to power a 5V regulator inside your unit. You could build a regulator around a 7805 or buy a ready built one like this one.

Mike.

Pommie,

Thanks for the help. For clarification, could I just split my 12V source into two parallel loops:
1) one gong to the fan
2) the other going through a 5V regulator, then through the PWM control circuit

These two loops would then meet back up and return to the common ground for my 12V source.

I've attached an image to illustrate what I'm thinking - would that be a valid approach?
Stir Plate.jpg

Looks like it will work provided that the 5V supply can have the same common as the 12V supply.

Question? Why not run the 555 on the same 12V as the fan?. If the signal going to the fan needs to be a 5V logic level signal, just use a simple voltage divider to reduce the amplitude of the 555's pin 3 output signal... That eliminates the 5V regulator.

Nice MikeMI,
event the fan is shown working with 12V. thus if the "FAN PWM" is to be triggered we can safely do it at 12V level. Even if it is a bipolar, we can add a series resistor just.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back