Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Contractors? What are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quixotron

Hello. I was wondering what do contractors do? I mean I know they work like mercenaries, they probably belong to some hiring agency that finds work for them and subcontracts it to them.

I wonder if they get housing assistance or benefits?

Has anyone been a contractor? Technically, I have worked as an intern and co-op. However, I have had my co-op extended another semester...basically i am doing engineering contractual work, but at will. So i'm similar to a contractor, just not quite technically.

I think contractors are pretty cool, they're like guns for hire. Thats awesome man!

Oh, and how does all the paperwork fit in? Any different from regular employees.

a contractor is just someone who's job is governed by a contract.

with the business I own, I do all my work on contract, so I work for no one but myself. The upside is I work when I want, and take off when I don't want to work.

The downside is, no formal employer to pay half my social security tax (aka the self employment tax), and no benefits other than what I buy out of my own pocket.

You're correct with your connection, when "contractors" are discussed in the media they are referring to mercenaries, privately owned solders.

In my locale the word contractor is synonymous with construction worker or builder. Contractors around here build houses, do roofing, plow snow, mow grass, etc.

The term "contractor" has several meanings. There is the legal definition as applied to employees and non-employees. It is important to note that even in the employment arena, the distinction between an employee and a contractor can get fuzzy. Your specific question about being an "intern" raises questions about students and apprentices for whom there are also legal definitions. Last, even as an employee/contractor, there are considerations as to whether you are "at will" or "not at will." Employment law is so complex, seemingly full of inconsistencies, and state specific (USA) that if you have a question about your rights, you need to see an attorney who specializes in that facet of law where you work or live. Hopefully, you live and work in the same legal jurisdiction.

As you mention, in casual language, it often refers to builders. By analogy, the term doctor can refer to a physician, and often does in casual use, but it also refers to any individual with a certain level of educational attainment.
John

Well I was referring to engineering contractors. But I guess the term "contractor" can be coined to any individual who works for an organization through an agency/third party.

quixotron said:
But I guess the term "contractor" can be coined to any individual who works for an organization through an agency/third party.

Perhaps in a technical sense that may be accurate. In practice, because it is frequently (if not always) advantageous for a company to have as few employees as possible, a company may try to call many of its employees "contractors" or "independent contractors." That ruse simply won't cut it and is where the complex employment law comes into play. So then, the company sets up a bunch of sub-corporations or captive corportations and tries the same thing. One might consider a corporation for house keeping, parking lot attendants, caffeteria staff, etc. (I have exaggerated a little, but not that much.) However, the laws have guidelines for determining whether a person is truly an independent contractor, a contracted employee of another corportation, an employee, etc. I have been each of those categories at one time or other.

So, back to your question of what contractors do. The simple answer is that they can do anything that an employee does, but may not have the same benefits or job security that an employee has. They can have fixed hours and get some, even most of the benefits of full-time employees, but that is not necessarily the case. On the other hand, they can be paid by the hour or by the job and totally free to set their own working conditions. Some of them never even show up on the company premisses. They simply work from home.

Again, if you are offered a job as a contractor and get more than a small amount of your income from that one position, say 20%, then you need good legal and professional advice. Some of those positions are very good, but some are full of potential potholes for your career. John

jpanhalt said:
Perhaps in a technical sense that may be accurate. In practice, because it is frequently (if not always) advantageous for a company to have as few employees as possible, a company may try to call many of its employees "contractors" or "independent contractors." That ruse simply won't cut it and is where the complex employment law comes into play. So then, the company sets up a bunch of sub-corporations or captive corportations and tries the same thing. One might consider a corporation for house keeping, parking lot attendants, caffeteria staff, etc. (I have exaggerated a little, but not that much.) However, the laws have guidelines for determining whether a person is truly an independent contractor, a contracted employee of another corportation, an employee, etc. I have been each of those categories at one time or other.

So, back to your question of what contractors do. The simple answer is that they can do anything that an employee does, but may not have the same benefits or job security that an employee has. They can have fixed hours and get some, even most of the benefits of full-time employees, but that is not necessarily the case. On the other hand, they can be paid by the hour or by the job and totally free to set their own working conditions. Some of them never even show up on the company premisses. They simply work from home.

Again, if you are offered a job as a contractor and get more than a small amount of your income from that one position, say 20%, then you need good legal and professional advice. Some of those positions are very good, but some are full of potential potholes for your career. John

Yeah. In one way its cool, in another way, you won't ever be able to settle down in one area, have a house, grand kids and die in that area. These days of long term employment at a company are over. Engineers are going to be scientists for hire.

DIY and others would probably concur. If you are going to be a contractor, be sure IP issues are nailed down so you are not too disadvantaged. And, if it is an automatically renewing contract, say with a 60-day notice or whatever, try to get a non-renewal payout added. You don't want to work for a place for 10 years and leave with nothing. John

jpanhalt said:
DIY and others would probably concur. If you are going to be a contractor, be sure IP issues are nailed down so you are not too disadvantaged. And, if it is an automatically renewing contract, say with a 60-day notice or whatever, try to get a non-renewal payout added. You don't want to work for a place for 10 years and leave with nothing. John

Wow! Contracting seems alot more complicated than getting up for work everyday. Thanks. Quixotron.

Hank Fletcher said:
Engineers are not scientists. Engineers do what they're told. Scientists tell what they do.

BULL$hi+!!!!!!!!

Scientists doodle on $%^&ing paper and cpu monitors. Engineers take the observed data, principles and measurements and implement them-several steps ahead of scientists. Thats why most scientitsts teach at universities and engineers make the world go round.

Thats why most scientitsts teach at universities and engineers make the world go round.
Most scientists teach at universities because it pays better than being an engineer. Engineers with a good grounding in anthropology (hey, that's a science!) can do very well for themselves, too.

Unfortunately, many engineers fall prey to being idealistic conservatives. Because so much of their profession is based in static, tangible, predictable details, they have a tendency to place a high priority on things that operate within a small set of rules to exclusion of other means of understanding.

People operate according to very complex, mutable definitions (if that's not an oxymoron!), and as such engineering will always be at odds with humanity. That's good, because as long as things keep not working properly, there'll always be plenty of engineering jobs!

Hank Fletcher said:
Most scientists teach at universities because it pays better than being an engineer. Engineers with a good grounding in anthropology (hey, that's a science!) can do very well for themselves, too.

Unfortunately, many engineers fall prey to being idealistic conservatives. Because so much of their profession is based in static, tangible, predictable details, they have a tendency to place a high priority on things that operate within a small set of rules to exclusion of other means of understanding.

People operate according to very complex, mutable definitions (if that's not an oxymoron!), and as such engineering will always be at odds with humanity. That's good, because as long as things keep not working properly, there'll always be plenty of engineering jobs!

Have you even heard of IEEE? and the US patent office? You will find all the industry-leading concepts and designs in there. 99% of the patents and research articles come from engineers. in fact scientists are no longer needed, engineers derive and rationalize equations on our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back