Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control Intensity oof Bulbs using Microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

baberjaved

I wanted to know what device can be used in order to light up and control the intensity of several 60Watt bulbs using a microcontroller. Obviously the microcontroller will only be used to control the switching of the bulbs and controlling the firing angle and the bulbs would be getting their power from Main 220V AC. I think TRIAC can be used for this but i wanted to know if theres any better alternative design and are there any power consumption/wattage issues involved that i need to worry about?

I wanted to know what device can be used in order to light up and control the intensity of several 60Watt bulbs using a microcontroller. Obviously the microcontroller will only be used to control the switching of the bulbs and controlling the firing angle and the bulbs would be getting their power from Main 220V AC. I think TRIAC can be used for this but i wanted to know if theres any better alternative design and are there any power consumption/wattage issues involved that i need to worry about?

A simple solution would be to use solid state relays. Their inputs can be driven directly with digital output pins from a micro. They use an internal triac for the AC voltage switching. You could apply PWM digital signal to the relay to get a dimming function.

**broken link removed**

Lefty

A simple solution would be to use solid state relays. Their inputs can be driven directly with digital output pins from a micro. They use an internal triac for the AC voltage switching. You could apply PWM digital signal to the relay to get a dimming function.

**broken link removed**

Lefty

Do the internal triacs only turn off at a zero crossing? If so, might be something else for him to consider.

The triac is probably your best bet. Power consumption should be relatively low.

For phase angle control, its best to use a MOC3020 ~MOC3023 opto triac between the microcontroller and AC TRIAC. They differ by the input operating current from a few mAs to 30mA.

This common 8-pin opto triac has an LED type input for easy interface to the uC and can drive common TRIAC. Best of all, it will isolate you and your microcontroller circuitry from the nasty AC supply.

You could use a diode bridge feeding a xsistor that is linearly turned on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back