Controlled IMpedance PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
WHen designing PCBs for processors (like the COldfire 5485, 50MHz crystal, 200MHz speed) and FPGAs (like the Virtex 5 100MHz crystal, 500MHz speed), at what point are controlled impedance PCBs required? EXcept for the RAM between the processor/FPGA, external to the chips, the fastest data transfers will be 5MHz from a CMOS camera.

Did you say 5MHz? Do not worry. On the other hand, for video out to a connector and down 50 feet of coax to a monitor I would use 75 ohm traces.

Consider speed and trace length. For a FPGA next to a SRAM, I have run fast but my longest trace was well under 1 inch. My first “PC” (back before the word “PC”) was a ½ MIP Z-80 CPU where the data traces went across a large PCB, across a 10 connector back plain, to a memory board, across the memory board. Even at those slow speeds the 2 to 3 feet of traces required impedance matching and termination.

Where are you in Alberta? I lived in Hanna, Lacomb and "Rocky".

I live in Edmonton but have never heard of those places. (Somewhat similar to the US-Canada, East-West, or Toronto-Edmonton effect I guess). I don't leave the city too much.

I'm not too worried about the speed of the camera (although I had planned to serialize the data stream and send it down twisted pair to a deserializer in order to be able to have the camera on a longer cable. It's not a problem since I can find the right impedance twisted pair wire (just a bit hard to find it quantities of only a couple feet), but the connector and PCB traces that lead to the deserializer might be a problem. It's running at a speed of about 230.4Mbps.

The RAM speed itself is going to be 200MHz for the processor and 333MHz for the FPGA. How much do I need to worry about controlled impedances at these speeds? I think I need an 8-14 layer board anyways so it's expensive, but I don't know if additional cost for impedance control is neglible or not.

I mainly ask because the FPGA dev board has impedance control on it. But it's also much larger than my board would be. It's also making me worry a bit about the Coldfire and it's RAM, though not nearly as much.

Actually, if the camera is only spitting data out at 5MHz, do I even need 333MHz RAM on the FPGA? It already has distributed internal memory. I think I could probably use slower RAM or less banks to save money and make routing simpler.

Last edited:
Fpga & Ram

My brother lives in Edmonton.

Some FPGAs have serial differential inputs in a format that is like DVI video. Those traces must be “transmission lines”.
I changed the serial video into parallel inside the FPGA. That way the RAM worked at 25MHz.
I made a military targeting computer with a FPGA and memory. We processed 4 streams of video at one time. We used a ground layer, a power layer and 4 signal layers. (6 layers) I almost got it working on 4 layers.

ron@gradllc.com

It depends on the wavelength of the highest order harmonic in the signal. If the circuit dimensions start to approach an order of magnitude of 1/4 of a wavelength then you should start matching impedances.

It's normally best to count up to the 10th harmonic for a 50% duty cycle waveform and for pulses it's the same, it's 1/(shortest pulse)*10.

How big were the FPGAs? I ask because I can get anything with up to 4 layers made pretty easily. Beyond that it starts to cost a fair amount (I think $600 was the estimate I got for a generic 4"x8" 12/14 layer controlled impedance PCB). When you say you almost got it to work with 4 layers, do you mean you weren't able to route it? Or do you mean that it failed when only 4 layers were used?

I'm just wondering why the dev board needed 14 layers and controlled impedance- whether it was for fanout or because high speed signals had to travel form one end to the other.

Also I need the logic inside the FPGAs a lot more than I need all those pins. Is there any harm in leaving those unused pins unconnected (like not fanning them out) and just disconnecting them during compilation? Or are there side-effects?

Last edited:
Altera EP1C4F32417.
When using ball grid arrays it takes many layers. You can only get at 2 rows of pads per layer. So if you have a 4 layer board and 2 layers for power/ground then there are only 2 signal layers. You can only get to 4 rows of pads. If you are very cleaver you can connect the memory and FPGA on 2 layers. It depends on board size. If things must be very tight then more layers are needed.

Most PCB designers play “connect the dots” while I change the design to make the layout work. If you put much more work into a good layout then the PCB will cost less.

Look at your compiler, it may leave the NC pins as output low.

Right now it looks like an 8-layer board should do the job.
---Logic---
---GND---
---Logic---
---GND---
---PWR---
---Logic---
---GND---
---Logic---

Or a 6-layer board if I it turns out I'll only need to fan out the pins I need.
---Logic---
---GND---
---Logic---
---Logic---
---PWR---
---Logic---
except that I think the bottom logic layer is too far from the ground plane for my obsessive-compulsive liking. I'm still trying to decide whehter I should spent 2x the money to make sure everything works (buy buying the dev board) or to be very careful building it the first time around.

Last edited:
power & ground

>Or a 6-layer board if I it turns out I'll only need to fan >out the pins I need.
>---Logic---
>---GND---
>---Logic---
>---Logic---
>---PWR---
>---Logic---

The GND and PWR layers are AC ground. The two layers are heavily connected together with capacitors. Keep the PWR layer mostly copper and it makes a pretty good ground as far as A.C. is concerned. I would place the high speed serial data lines on Logic 1 or Logic 2 so it sees the real ground.

If you pin-out the FPGA right there will be only short lines that do not use VIAs, or only a very few feed thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…