Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling a Stepper Motor with Arduino

jan25

Hi all,

I am making a timelapse slider and am having trouble controlling the 42BYG stepper motor from an arduino. Any suggestions of IC’s I could use to enable me to do this? I need to be able to drive the motor one step at a time.

Many thanks

For a four-wire stepper motor, you need two full-bridge power drivers, one for each winding.

Also, due to the inductance of the windings, for anything other than extremely low speeds, they must be driven from a high voltage supply using constant current drivers.

The simplest approach is to use one of the readily available stepper motor driver modules such as these:

There are arduino libraries for controlling steppers using modules such as those.

The motor supply to the driver module should be somewhere in the 12V - 24V range.

The modules also include microstepping, so the motor can be positioned to an accuracy of eg. 1/16 it's full step angle.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back