Controlling Linear Actuator with 2 switches

JoCoo26

Hi. On my truck I have a sports bar with an LED light bar connected to it, attached to a 2” actuator that raises or lowers the light bar depending on the position of the DPDT (on-off-on) switch.
I have no place to mount this switch and was looking for another alternative.
I have a push button control panel in my truck where I can turn on the light bar and other accessories. I wanted to use 2 of the switches on this panel to control the actuator in both directions. The panel consists of latching switches. The accessory turns on when the button is pressed and must be pressed again to turn accessory off.
I know I’m going to need relays in order to accomplish this, however my knowledge in relays is sub-par.
I do not want something that is on-on (so I don’t have to leave the switch on all the time to keep the actuator retracted) and I need a fail-safe incase both buttons are accidentally pushed which would create a short.
If this is possible, could someone please not only explain what I would need, but also provide a wiring diagram explaining which relay terminals go where.
Off the top of my head, I think I need 2 SPDT relays to achieve this but I’m not sure how to prevent the short in the event both buttons are pushed at the same time. Thanks for the help

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…