Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert signal from Phototransistor to logic level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futterama

Hello forum,

I'm using a phototransistor-based reflective object sensor to measure the RPM of a fast rotating wheel. I get this output from the phototransistor (see attachment) which will be 1kHz max. (60,000 RPMs max.).

How do I convert that signal to something useful for a microcontroller (PIC12F675)?

Regards,
Futterama

Attachments

• signal_781.jpg
    signal_781.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 334
Does the average DC level vary with changes in ambient light, supply voltage, temperature, or phase of the moon, or is there some sort of feedback system to keep it constant?

I'm thinking AC coupling into a comparator, but that will only work if the detector never saturates (or cuts off) due to one or more of the above considerations.
You would probably have a better outcome if you posted schematics, so we can see what you're starting with.

I've never seen a phototransistor biased halfway like that. Usually it is cutoff and conducts a little with radiation. Maybe he looked at it on a 'scope set for AC.
Then he just needs a two transistor amplifier. The first one with cap-coupling on its input and a variable gain control on its emitter, and the 2nd transistor to saturate and cutoff fully from the 5V supply. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back