Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting a 1/2 HP washing machine motor into and alternator for a wind turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infrit10

I'm not sure what to do to it in order to make it create energy, i was looking for a schematic or a wiring diagram of the motor for help, i've gotten a few different motors so i can try a few times.

motor=generator

speaker = mic

all you need to do is spin it and you will get power on wires!

Last edited:
motor=generator

speaker = mic

all you need to do is spin it and you will get power on wires!​

Not if its a standard AC induction motor. You can spin those all you want and wont get a usable milliwatt returned for your efforts.

The most practical way to make one into a variable speed alternator is to machine down the rotor and attach permanent magnets to it.

There are several threads related to doing such things in the renewable energy section here.

Its a two speed motor so right away it has more than two wires, it may have a run cap, it may or may not have a start winding. Its not as simple as hooking two wires to a light bulb. Do you have the wiring diagram from the machine it came out of? Andy

Last edited:
doggy; Its probaly a single phase motor, so that will not help. Andy

Alright, thanks for all the help guys, if any of you come across some new thoughts about this type of motor post them please.
Thanks.

By the way - the above method does work; I've got an old AC induction gearmotor from a photocopier that self-generates just fine...
I used to be copier service tech and I am quite familiar with all of the assorted motors they used in many different brands and models. The vast majority of the main drive AC motors they use are synchronous motors that have slightly magnetized rotors which makes that an apples and oranges comparison by trying to equate a copier motor to a common washing machine motor.

Try spinning a regular single phase AC washing machine motor and I guarantee you wont get the same results. If it was that simple I would know about it and be using it myself.

Make sure to look at the site Eric posted. Many are brushless PM motors.

what kind of voltage do you need at output, maybe just a car alternator would do a great job for recharging batterys

I'm not sure which wires in the motor i'm using which is similar to a "Norge washing machine motor" i've only got the motor and it's side of the wires, from here i cannot tell which wires are the ones for power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back